This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Many fashion films play upon the harsh stereotypes of the industry making it seem as though it is a demoralizing empire filled with overambitious fashionistas who only talk about brand-name lipstick and their petrifying bosses who make it impossible to survive. Although that is almost never the case, fashion films remain one of the most engaging ways to fantasize about what our lives could be like one day if we were to somehow “make it” in the fashion world — even if their plotlines are sometimes outrageous. Here is a list of the top ten classics, divided by their individual sub-industries, that you must see before working in your desired field of fashion, whether it is journalism, designing, styling, photography, retail, and more.

Journalism -The Devil Wears Prada (2006)

The Devil Wears Prada is a cult classic about a young journalist, Andrea Sachs, who lands an internship after graduation that “a million girls would kill for” being the personal assistant to one of the most renowned and sought-after magazine editors in NYC, Miranda Priestly (whose character is inspired by Vogue magazine’s editor-in-chief, Anna Wintour). Working for Runway, the highly-acclaimed fashion publication, Sachs experiences a culture shock as she has an undeniable contempt for the superficialities of the industry and does not care much about fashion and her appearance. Consequently, she finds it difficult to keep pace with the external chaos of the industry and fulfilling Priestly’s impossible demands. Progressively, Sachs becomes consumed by the overly-ambitious industry and undergoes a serious personality and style transformation as she begins working her way up the corporate ladder — and even being asked to accompany Priestly at Paris Fashion Week. The once apathetic intern soon finds herself rocking full Chanel ensembles, Louis Vuitton coats, Hermès scarves, and more. Although the film makes the fashion industry look like a soulless empire where only the wicked can survive, it is definitely a fun watch for anybody wishing to become a writer for a magazine. 

Watch The Devil Wears Prada on Disney +, Amazon Prime Video, Youtube and Google Play!

Modelling – Funny Face (1957)

Before The Devil Wears Prada, there was Funny Face — the iconic musical comedy starring Audrey Hepburn and Fred Astaire. The film follows a shy bookstore clerk named Jo Stockton who is persuaded to become a model after her beauty is accidentally discovered during a photoshoot in her store. According to the fashion photographer Dick Avery, and the publisher and editor of Quality magazine Maggie Prescott (whose character is inspired by the fashion columnist Diana Vreeland), Stockton has exactly what they are looking for: somebody who can “think as well as they look.” Even though she gets to travel to the most scenic destinations and take photos in front of iconic Parisian backdrops, Jo soon discovers that the industry she once thought was glamorous is the furthest from it. It doesn’t help that her terrifying boss makes life very difficult and unenjoyable for her too. Funny Face is a classic and quirky film that anybody aspiring to become a model must watch. 

Watch Funny Face on Amazon Prime Video, Youtube and Google Play!

Designing – Phantom Thread (2017)

In Daniel Day-Lewis’ final film, he plays Reynolds Woodcock, the genius dressmaker who reigns over the haute-couture world in London in the 1950s. The hauntingly beautiful and elegant fashion film lingers over Woodcock’s creative processes and the way he designs, drapes, sews and fits his garments while keeping a strict lifestyle and daily regimen that is as tightly wound as his spool of thread, necessary for concentration. Throughout the progression of the film, Reynolds’ inner-life struggles, transpiring from the strange relationship with his latest muse who tries to infiltrate every aspect of his life, is expressed through the dresses he makes. The film won an Academy Award for “Best Costume Design” in 2018, honouring costume designer Mark Bridges’ ability to, not only create alluring gowns, but contribute to Reynolds’ wicked character development. This distorted tale of power and art is a must-see romantic drama for anybody interested in designing clothing and starting their own line. 

Watch Phantom Thread on Youtube and Google Play!

Buyer – Made in Paris (1966)

Made in Paris is a quintessential mid-60s romantic comedy about Maggie Scott, an American fashion buyer who works for the high-end clothing store Barclay Ames, in New York. Maggie is sent to Paris for the first time to attend fashion week, upon which she meets the highly-acclaimed French dress designer Marc Fontaine, who “has designs on every girl he meets.” Since Barclay Ames is the only store in all of New York that carries Fontaine gowns, Maggie is responsible for keeping a good rapport between the two companies throughout her trip. Her plan severely backfires, however, when she accidentally falls in love with Fontaine and loses a lucrative contract, resulting in her boss’ son coming to Paris to resolve the issue. Made in Paris is a fun and engaging film highlighting the struggles and perks of being a fashion buyer that anybody seeking to pursue that occupation would find enjoyable.

Watch Made in Paris on Youtube and Google Play!

Photography- Blow-up (1966)

Blow-up is about a high-demand, trendy, London-based fashion photographer named Thomas who lives his dream life photographing models and capturing the dazzling street-style scene of London. In a twist of fate, Thomas accidentally captures a murder on camera after following a couple to the park. Apart from trying to solve the mystery, the highly-acclaimed film features some of the most iconic silhouettes, shots, and avant-garde captured on camera and is a must-watch for any fashion photographers looking for inspiration on how to stand out or enhance their photography technique. 

Watch Blow-up on Youtube and Google Play!

Retail – Ladies in Black (2018)

Ladies in Black is a dramedy that tells the story of four female employees working on the fifth floor of Goode’s, the prestigious fashion department store in Sydney, Australia, in 1959. It is based on the 1993 novel, Women in Black. A shy schoolgirl named Lisa finds herself landing a summer job at the high-end department store joining the “ladies in black” (whose name is acquired from their elegant, black work attire). At first, she struggles to learn the ropes and fit in, but ends up finding companionship with the women at work. The film addresses themes such as identity tolerance and opportunity as each employee encompasses different personalities, struggles and social upheavals. Ladies in Black is an alluring and kind-hearted film adaptation that can be enjoyed by anybody looking to work in luxury retail stores.

Watch Ladies in Black on Netflix, Youtube and Google Play!

Personal Shopper – Personal Shopper (2016)

This thriller/mystery is about an American personal shopper and Chanel muse named Maureen who is sent to Paris to assist the needs of a famous fashion model. However, Maureen has other intentions while in Paris and aims to track down and communicate with her deceased brother using various signals. Contrasted against her day of glamorous trips to Christian Louboutin and tantalizing Chanel fittings, is an unconventional ghost story in which Maureen is haunted by her brother. Although portraying a rather disturbing storyline amid a stimulating industry, Personal Shopper is a film that anybody wishing to pursue that career path would find intriguing. 

Watch Personal Shopper on Amazon Prime Video, Youtube and Google Play

Styling- Breakfast at Tiffany’s (1961)

From the very first scene of Breakfast at Tiffany’s, it was apparent that fashion was going to be a recurring theme in the film. Throughout the romantic comedy, Hepburn can be seen rocking her statement jewelry pieces and iconic little black dress. Hepburn not only made the black dress a popular silhouette, but gave inspiration to countless wardrobe departments since the film’s release. Breakfast at Tiffany’s is the quintessential fashion film that will never go out of style.

Watch Breakfast at Tiffany’s on Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Youtube and Google Play!

Styling – Sex and the City (2008)

Who doesn’t love a film where every main protagonist is dressed fabulously from head-to-toe? Anyone seeking fashion inspo and how to style garments elegantly can learn from Carrie Bradshaw, one of the most iconic on-screen style icons (and the master of rocking Manolo Blahniks). From fashion shows to designer wedding dresses and photoshoots with Vogue, Sex and the City will always be synonymous with fashion. 

Watch Sex and the City on Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Youtube and Google Play!

Styling – Confessions of a Shopaholic (2009)

The title of the movie says it all –– the film is about designer clothing and excess shopping aimed to keep up with all of the emerging trends in the industry. Confessions of a Shopaholic is a film that anybody wishing to become a stylist would enjoy as it is a comedic take on what life is like being well dressed. 

Watch Confessions of a Shopaholic on Amazon Prime Video, Youtube and Google Play

Christina Armanious is an active member of the fashion community and a passionate student of Ryerson University's Creative Industries program, where she majors in fashion and storytelling. Christina is excited to begin her second year at Her Campus, this time as the Senior Editor. Outside of Her Campus, Armanious is a contributing writer for several magazines, including The Kit, and explores her interest by developing fashion stories based on interviews around Toronto through her blog "Everywear You Look". Christina has interned for The Toronto Star, HUGO BOSS, worked with Victoria Beckham as well as many designers, and has styled collections for numerous fashion weeks and shows.
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.