10 College Life Lessons from Disney Princesses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Disney ladies know all about juggling responsibilities: look at Tiana and her waitressing, Cinderella’s chores, or Mulan’s, um, saving China. You may not have a fairy godmother, but you can read these tips while you wait for one.

1. Sometimes, you need to take a break. You need your beauty sleep for that 8am class!

2. But don’t take too many! It’s worth it to get yourself up and go to your lectures; you’ll probably do better on the exam.

3. It’s okay to mess up. Maybe you didn’t get that internship or you missed a shift at work because you pulled an all-nighter on your politics essay. But cut yourself some slack; you’re working hard, and it will pay off.

4. Surround yourself with good friends. You know, the ones who will watch your back when you go out for drinks or come running with ice cream after your break-up. Or sing with you under the sea.

5. Find your style. Post-secondary is great, because unlike in high school, people don’t really judge what you wear. Don’t feel compelled to buy expensive shirts you don’t like if you’d rather rock an old band shirt. (Or even a shimmering ice-gown. Whatever works for you!)

6. Focus on yourself. For real. Maybe you just broke up or have been single for awhile and are yearning for a relationship. Maybe you’re watching rom-coms with wine a lot. (Hey, we’ve all been there.) But college is really a time to discover who you are and what you can do. Spend time creating yourself first, and future relationships will be so much more exciting. Take up kickboxing, slam poetry, an instrument. Paint with all the colours of the…

7. Learning how to cook is a worthwhile investment. Even if you only learn to make simple dishes like eggs or stir fry, it comes in handy when you live in an apartment or a tower.

8. On that note, try to keep the sweets and fast food to a minimum. I know, it’s so easy to just order a pizza or eat your roommate’s Doritos. But you really will feel better and more energized if you load up on veggies, fruits, and protein. (But of course you can’t cut out chocolate completely. That would be crazy.)  

9. Stay active! Sitting on the train or in your dorm studying can definitely sap your energy. If you don’t have time to hit the gym every day, you can start by taking the stairs (try the SLC for a major workout!) Or go hardcore like Mulan.

10. Explore! Ryerson is in the middle of downtown Toronto, which has virtually endless shops, places to eat, and things to see. Take a little walk off campus and see what you find! 

Lover of food and The Office. Can't live without my mascara! Catholic :)
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.