Style

10 Budget-Friendly Ways to Look Boujee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

The concept of looking “boujee” is often associated with the idea that one must spend lots of money, buy expensive designer apparel and lead a luxurious life. In many cases, the art of looking boujee is not a very wallet-friendly one.

Luckily, I have 10 simple and frugal ways to look boujee.

1. SHOES

It is psychologically proven that the first thing people notice when they see you are the shoes you wear. 

Now, a nice pair of shoes would typically cost you anywhere from $200-$1000+ but you could opt for a $40-$100 pair if you know the right stores and brands to hit. Pretty Little Thing, for example, has a large variety of shoes, slides, heels, boots and more! These beige chunky high tops will go perfect with almost any outfit, especially in the fall. However, if you are in a more dressy mood, you can’t go wrong with their simple pair of heels. 

Crisp, black heels paired with some blue denim jeans and a bag will for sure turn heads. 

2. HANDBAGS

Handbags are iconic for creating an empowering look. Typically, a nice bag from Chanel or Louis Vuitton can set you back a few thousand dollars, but there are stores where you can find a nice crossbody bag or small hand purse for a reasonable price. 

This crossbody bag from Guess Factory is high-quality and is only the cost of a simple lunch out. A handbag is a closet staple that will immediately take your outfit from a 10/10 to a 15/10. 

3. LIP GLOSS

This one is a personal favourite. Whether you like wearing makeup or not, many forms of gloss can glam up a look. 

There are natural glosses that provide a sheer tone and act as a balm or a heavy shine gloss. If you’re really feeling the lip look, you can always use a lip plumper to take it to the next level. 

Sephora offers a large variety of lip products and glosses to choose from. On the website, you can set a budget that conveniently fits your needs. Rihanna’s lip luminizer is for $25. This product is glossy and lightweight; it’s the perfect finishing touch to any outfit. 

For a more natural and lightweight feel, you can use an oil-based lip product for a sheer look. This clean glossy lip oil is under $20 and moisturizes your lips to keep them soft and hydrated. It’s not only boujee but great for the skin!

4. NAILS

Next on the list are nails: a sleek way to make your outfit look boujee and luxurious. This can be done by maintaining your acrylics or just a nice manicure. There are many ways to achieve this:

• Book an appointment at a local salon. 
  • Buy a pack of at-home acrylics from Shoppers Drug Mart. I like the brand Helios which sells for $11.99+ tax.
  • If you aren’t much of a fake nails fan, buying some nail polish is a great way to fancy up your hands. My favourite nail polish brands are Essie and Sally Hansen.

Nails are a nice way to wrap an outfit together, making it look clean and giving it a high-end vibe.

5. WATCHES

Jewellery is the best way to accessorize and sharpen a look; simplistic gold and silver pieces are my personal favourites. 

Watches are an amazing way to ‘bling up’ your wrists while emulating an elegant, business casual feel. And thankfully, not all watches will break your bank account. 

A great place to shop with a myriad of watch selections from well-known brands (and great deals) is Nordstrom Rack. A dainty gold watch like this one from Fossil is the ideal accessory to make you look more put together.

6. OVERSIZED JACKETS

Fall and winter are approaching and the best way to appear stylish during the chilly weather is with a nice jacket.

Layering is a simple technique to add some depth to any outfit. You can purchase an oversized denim jacket or the newly trending leather coat from Fashion Nova for only $39.99. Even a plaid oversized wool jacket would look extremely chic.

Pair it with some heeled booties, a gold watch, a cute tote bag––and voila, you’ll look stunning!

7. HAIR

Hair has been a long-standing way to immediately freshen up your appearance. I cannot stress enough what a good wash with your favourite shampoo and conditioner, or using simple, inexpensive products can do!

• For curly hair, opt for some curl cream after a wash to get wispy, healthy curls. My favourite brand is Bondi Boost because it not only strengthens hair but moisturizes locks.
  • For straight hair, try some Moroccan oil for a nice sheer shine.
  • For wavy hair, add some beach wave spray to give your curls an elegant bounce.

8. HATS

Hats are one of my favourite accessories. They truly make any outfit chic and stand out in a crowd. This hat from Aritzia is under $30 and makes for a great casual or sporty look.

My tip is to pair this look with dainty jewelry, like small cuff earrings, a minimalist necklace or a few rings. Details are what make an outfit basic or boujee.

9. SUNGLASSES

I love shades because no matter if it’s summer or winter, the sun is always shining. 

Most online stores like Fashion Nova and Pretty Little Thing carry an amazing range of glasses for under $10. These sunglasses are a perfect way to make your look pop, and if you want them to look designer, buy thicker frames with darker lens shades.  

Grab your shades and walk the streets like it’s New York Fashion Week!

10. Rings

For the last and smallest item on our list, we have rings! Rings are a simple and minimalist way to show off some great styling skills. Hands are constantly in use, whether it’s using our phones, laptops, opening doors and driving; they get noticed the most which is why it’s important to accessorize. 

You could go minimalist and wear a couple of thin rings or one thick block ring to solidify and pull together a look. When paired with a set of fresh nails, rings can make a bold statement. My favourite place to shop for rings is H&M. You can get a large variety of shapes, colours and sizes for under $20. Personally, I opt for either gold or silver with no graphic designs or logos; minimalism allows the actual form and detailing of the accessory stand out rather than distracting graphics.

With these 10 budget-friendly ways to look boujee, you can feel confident walking into your next lecture, meeting, outing or event.

Prisha Dev

Toronto MU '25

Prisha is a journalism student who loves writing, travelling, sports, fashion and of course coffee!! She has written for numerous publications varying on many topics. Check out her Instagram for more content @prishadev