10 Black Movies to Watch to celebrate the End of Black History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

The past couple years have been a huge eye-opener and cause for reflection regarding social unrest. Diversity in Hollywood is an even bigger topic of discussion than ever before, with greater strides at ensuring these voices are heard but still having a long journey ahead. This past Black History Month was a time for us not just to think of all the pain and suffering that people of colour have faced but a time to celebrate their joy and creativity. For this list, I want to recommend to you ten essential Black centered films for this month. 

Just like all top ten lists, it won’t cover every single essential Black film that’s necessary viewing. There are many older films from the past that this author has yet to discover. Movies by the greats like Oscar Micheaux (Within Our Gates), who is hailed as being one of the first Black filmmakers, deserves to be known and mentioned. 

The list does still try its best to provide you with a variety of Black stories from a multitude of genres. There are films about slavery, racism and poverty that are typically associated with these narratives. There are also indie thrillers, blockbuster comedies and films centering black joy as well. Movies centering around Black culture don’t always need to focus on their downfall. It’s typically romanticized in movies and is usually the driving narrative behind most black centered films, but the industry has been taking steps forward to show Black joy rather than Black misery. These stories aren’t just from one perspective, one major theme that drives them, but feature a whole community and culture. I hope there is at least one film on this list that peaks your interest. 

By the time you are reading this, the month of February may already have passed. Black History Month may already be over. This list however, isn’t interested so much in readers watching these films during the actual month but more interested in readers taking the time to recognize these films no matter what month it is. Black History, like every month dedicated to an underrepresented minority community, should not just end when the month is over. It should be celebrated regardless, all year round and never forgotten. 

10. Luce (2019)

via GIPHY

An excellent drama, mystery, thriller that flew under the radar in 2019, Luce is a movie that deserves to be on your watchlist. The film follows a white married couple (Naomi Watts and Tim Roth) who are forced to reckon with their star athlete and top student son Luce (Kelvin Harrison Jr.) when he writes an unsettling paper on political violence at school. This paper alarms his history teacher Harriet Wilson (Octavia Spencer) who questions Luce’s mindset and calls for concern.

Luce is a brilliant teen plagued by a disturbing past. He was adopted from war-torn Eritrea where he used to be a child soldier. After being adopted by a privileged, white couple, he becomes a picture perfect student, creating an idealized image of who he is supposed to be. When that image is threatened by Ms. Wilson, who finds hints of more disturbing secrets Luce may be hiding, Luce’s parents start to question the type of son they’ve been raising. This has Luce trying to maintain his faltering reputation while wrestling with his past identity. 

The film plays like your favourite psychological thriller and will have audiences guessing throughout its runtime. Director and writer duo, Julius Onah and J.C. Lee craft compelling characters who you can sympathize with in one scene but completely question their morals in the next. Each character has layers of complexity to them and it’s thrilling to watch it all unravel. 

Luce is a compelling film that is sure to have you thinking long after it’s over. The soundtrack is a standout as it complements the film’s dark, mysterious tone that creeps under your skin as you’re watching. It is composed by artists Geoff Barrow and Ben Salisbury, who are known for creating just as eerie and atmospheric music for Alex Garland films such as Ex Machina and Annihilation. 

Kelvin Harrison Jr. gives a brilliantly layered performance of the title character. Every nuance and action he does shapes the audience’s outlook on Luce and he is an actor that needs to be paid attention to. It has themes of race, identity, privilege and tokenism that is sure to start up long debates with whoever you’re watching it with. It’s recommended that you watch this with someone else, so you can analyze and get into nitty gritty discussions that make this film essential viewing. 

Luce is available to watch now on Amazon Prime Video. 

You can watch the trailer here. 

9. Blindspotting (2018) 

via GIPHY

A crime drama that’s hard hitting and features stand out performances, Blindspotting is another unique film that deals with heavy ideas and themes. The film follows convicted felon Collin Hoskins (Daveed Digs) who is struggling to complete his last three days of probation. He works at a moving company with his white best friend Miles (Rafael Casal) who struggles with his rapidly gentrifying neighborhood. Collin witnesses a life altering event of police brutality and the two men struggle to maintain their friendship once decisions and a changing social landscape exposes their differences. 

Blindspotting features two incredible lead performances from both Daveed Digs and Rafael Casal. Both actors give it their all as complicated men who wrestle with identity and their own class struggle. These two characters have a genuine friendship that’s tested throughout the movie as Collin questions Miles reckless behaviour and whose approach to cultural appropriation may be seen as problematic. 

The film’s most unique trait is the way it has scenes that communicate dialogue through spoken word. Casal and Diggs both come from backgrounds in poetry, theatre and music and you can see these talents shine through on screen. Collin has standout powerful scenes where he spits out bars and rhymes on police brutality and race, which is nothing short of riveting. 

Blindspotting only available to watch on Amazon Prime with the Super Channel add-on. 

You can watch the trailer for the movie here. 

8. Get Out (2018)

via GIPHY

Get Out dominated the film scene back in 2018, during the heights of the Black Lives Matter movement and has become essential viewing since then. The film is even more relevant now as a social thriller about Chris Washington (Daniel Kalluya) who goes with his girlfriend to visit and be introduced to her white family for the first time. It marked the directorial debut of actor-comedian Jordan Peele who creates a masterfully suspenseful film that builds on the anxiety of Black men in America and takes a dark turn as this family’s secrets are revealed. 

Get Out can at one moment play out as a social horror thriller, but also as a hilarious comedy too with a genuinely funny comedic relief character in Rod Willaims (Lil Rel Howery). The film was a massive commercial and critical success, which is likely due to how Peele is able to balance these different genres seamlessly while still making impactful and subliminal messages of modern racial views in America. You also gain so much more out of it from repeated viewings, so even if you’ve already seen the film, it may just be the perfect time to dive right back into the sunken place. 

Get Out is, unfortunately, unavailable to watch on a legal streaming service and only available for purchase on Blu-ray/DVD, YouTube or Google Play in Canada.

You can watch the trailer for Get Out here. 

7. Girls Trip (2017)

via GIPHY

The most accessible, lighthearted film on this list, Girls Trip is a good time that celebrates the beauty of Black Joy. It features a wonderful all female Black cast in Regina Hall, Jada Pinkett Smith, Queen Latifah and the scene stealing Tiffany Haddish. It’s a film about four friends reconnecting and going on a trip to New Orleans and it’s a complete joy to watch from start to finish. Featuring gross out humour typical in blockbuster comedies, these ladies are able to make it work with their dynamic chemistry and committed performances. The film’s biggest achievement is that it’s able to showcase talented Black actresses who are united rather than forced apart. These ladies come together and help each other out whether its giving humouous advice on sex or encouraging one of their own to stand up for herself in a toxic relationhsip. If you aren’t already sold, all you have to do is watch this clip of Tiffany Haddish and you most certainly will be. 

Girls Trip is, unfortunately, unavailable to watch on a legal streaming service and only available for purchase on Blu-ray/DVD, YouTube or Google Play in Canada.

You can watch the trailer for Girls Trip here. 

6. Bamboozled (2000)

A biting, darkly comedic social satire that commentates on the entertainment industry’s history of race, Bamboozled is a film like no other. Spike Lee is one of American cinemas most well-known Black filmmakers, known for his signature style of double dolly shots and intense character monologues. He made a splash in the independent film scene with the iconic 1989 film Do the Right Thing and thus has become a prolific director that has challenged race and gentrification throughout his career. Bamboozled might not be the most familiar title in Lee’s filmography, however, as it was met with a divisive critical reception and was a box office flop. 

The film is about an Ivy-League educated black writer at a major network (Damon Wayans) who revives the minstrel show form of entertainment after his attempts at a Cosby show-like take on a Black family centered show keeps getting rejected. This outlandish idea flips the original concept and instead of having White actors in blackface, the show will have Black actors in blackface. The show becomes an instant hit but extremely controversial, leading to dangerous repercussions for all involved. 

Almost twenty years after its original release however, the film is finally getting the critical praise it deserves. That’s because a lot of the film’s themes and commentary still ring true today. Lee doesn’t shy away from exposing the long straining history of racism in the entertainment industry, which is still a topic of discussion today. It’s not an easy watch by any means, but it has since become necessary viewing to really drive home the idea that Hollywood needs to reckon with their past use of blackface and not giving voices to those underrepresented. The film is a satire that can be both humorous but also extremely uncomfortable to watch, with a notorious ending montage that is sure to stick with you long after the film is over. 

Bamboozled is available to watch now on the Criterion Channel.

5. The Watermelon Woman (1995)

via GIPHY

This is probably going to be the one that’s the least recognizable to most readers, but is such a joyful and fun watch from a perspective that’s too rarely seen in cinema. The film centers on young Black lesbian filmmaker Cheryl (Cheryl Dunye) who is creating a documentary project on a Black actress in the 30s who was known as The Watermelon Woman and played ‘mammy’ archetypes. Cheryl discovers more about this woman and her possible, hidden relationship with a white actress. Meanwhile, Cheryl herself gets involved with a White woman named Diana (Guinevere Turner) whom she meets at the video rental store she works at. The Watermelon Woman is a film that works on so many layers. It works as a funny mid-90s comedy about a Black lesbian simply pursuing her passion while hanging out with friends. It works as a rom-com thats groundbreaking in showing an interracial lesbian just be and form a genuine connection while being unafraid to show queer sex and nudity on screen. It even works as a meta-style documentary about a passionate filmmaker discovering history she never knew existed. 

The film is notable for being the first feature film to ever be directed by an “out” Black lesbian. It’s a marvelous feat that isn’t as talked about as the film is also a genuinely great movie regardless. The meta-style documentary film within the film is also notable as it drives home important themes. Cheryl is set out to try and discover more Black female, Black queer, representation in cinema but consistently hits road blocks in her searches. This adds layers to how queer audicnes try and discover more films and actors and filmmakers that properly represents them. It’s almost bittersweet how in the film Cheryl tries to find impactful black films from the past buried under history. Yet her own groundbreaking film has gone through a similar process of being hidden under the vault of queer cinema, only to be rediscovered decades later. 

The Watermelon Woman is available to watch now on Fandor. 

Watch the trailer for the movie here. 

4. Small Axe Series: Lovers Rock (2020)

via GIPHY

There’s a bit of cheating for this entry on the list, as this title simply isn’t one important black film, but features five essential movies in a series. Small Axe came out last year and couldn’t have come at a better time during this politically charged era. Each film is set within the late 60s to the mid 80s telling personal stories from London’s West Indian community. For this particular list, the film chosen to represent the series is the standout second film and that’s Lover’s Rock. Most of the films in the series focuses on racial discrimination, police brutality, a corrupted education system and more hard hitting topics. Lovers Rock is the one that dials down the drama, focusing more on Black love and joy. Set almost entirely in at a houseparty in the early 80s, the film is a soothing, intimate escape that leaves you smiling the entire way through. The film is brief, running only at about 70 mins, but every second is so beautifully shot and has standout music scenes where characters are dancing to Kung Fu Fighting and Silly Games. It’s not overtly political but the entire reason why these characters are having their own houseparty is because they weren’t allowed in white dance clubs. It is a peek into history that is never seen on screen. Showing the strength and determination of a community that still made it work to have a great time. Lovers Rock is the perfect film to watch during this time, as it’s the party that you never have but wished you could have attended. 

The Small Axe Series is available to watch now on Amazon Prime Video.

Watch the preview for Lovers Rock here.  

Also highly recommended to watch all five films in the Small Axe series, the trailer of which can be found here

3. 12 Years a Slave (2012)

via GIPHY

The hardest film to watch on this list, 12 Years a Slave is a film that’s so essential yet only meant to be witnessed for one viewing. As the title suggests, the film follows Solomon Northup, a free man who gets captured and forced to become a slave for the course of 12 years of his life. The film is also directed by Steven McQueen and successfully brought him to auteur filmmaker status. He deservedly won Best Picture as well as Best Adapted Screenplay for John Ridley and Supporting Actress for Lupita Nyong’o. The film is gorgeously directed with shots, scenery and images that will stay with you way after the film has ended. A lot of what happens in the film however is incredibly brutal. There are four minute long whipping scenes and hanging scenes so difficult to view yet so expertly presented. 

Chiwetel Ejiofor and Lupita Nyong’o give harrowing performances, but both do it in such a way that is the perfect kind of realism. It’s no wonder that their careers catapulted after this and they have become well known names in the business. It’s a testament to the craft of powerful filmmaking and presenting stories that although may be hard to watch, is essential viewing to witness just how real and heartbreaking this part of history was. 

12 Years a Slave is available to watch now on Hollywood Suite. 

Watch the trailer for the movie here

2. Waves (2019)

via GIPHY

A soulful, emotionally heart wrenching look at one’s family’s struggle, Waves is a powerful family drama that is an experience to watch. The film’s structure plays out in two distinct parts. The first half follows Tyler Willaims (Kelvin Harrison Jr.) and his volatile relationship with his controlling father (Sterling K. Brown) who is pushed so far beyond his limits that it leads to a sports injury. This sets off a series of events that tests the familial bonds between the family and climaxes to an unexpected tragedy. It’s an intense roller coaster ride of emotions that has the viewer holding their breath for the majority of its run. Tyler is a complicated pressure cooker that has to live up to the expectations that he has to live up to and who’s actions have him spiraling closer and closer to tragedy. Kelvin Harrison Jr. gives another impactful performance that leaves the viewer shaken as he makes them go through his emotional turmoil and pain.

The second half deals with the aftermath of these events but takes a more calmer, reflective tone. It switches to the perspective of Tyler’s sister Emily (Taylor Russell) who is living in a broken family that’s trying to move on. Russell takes over as the lead and gives a calmer, more emotionally sad performance as she has to witness the repercussions of what’s happened to her family. All while trying to find love, forgiveness and happiness on her own. 

What’s unique about the film’s presentation is its music and directing. The music features needle drops from famous artists such as Frank Ocean, Tyler the Creator and H.E.R. The songs feel more naturally placed however, as they compliment the scenes that they accompany. The two separate acts are distinguished by style and tone. The first half has a tight aspect ratio that makes the viewer feel almost claustrophobic while watching. It has a frenetic energy that escalates until it reaches its breaking point. THe second half however, has the complete opposite effect. It has a soulful, meditative tone with a wider ratio and more focused on forgiveness and acceptance after the tragedy. Both halfs do work together as a complete, beautiful whole. One where you feel deeply connected to this family and their up and down struggles to simply live and make it through no matter how hard it can be. 

Waves is available to watch now on Amazon Prime Video. 

You can watch the trailer for the movie here

1. Moonlight (2016)

via GIPHY

When watching Moonlight, you aren’t so much as watching the film as you are experiencing the film. From its very first frame it puts you in a hypnotic state that brings you into the world that director Barry Jenkins brings so vividly to life. The film is set up in three different acts and centers on Chiron, a kid who grows up in a poverty stricken neighborhood and follows him from childhood to adulthood as he deals with a drug addicted mom and a burgeoning sexual identity. Each separate act is separated by distinct parts of Chiron’s life. Played excellently by three different actors, the first follows him as a helpless child, who is nicknamed Little (Alex R. Hibbert). The second as a beaten down teenager (Ashton Sanders). The third act as a stone cold drug dealing adult, nicknamed Black (Trevante Rhodes).

Moonlight is a monumental masterpiece of queer cinema, wherein every single frame is so beautifully shot and directed you can frame it and hang up on your wall. Its musical score is so haunting and adds to the moody tone and framing of the camera. It’s a story about a Black, queer individual who is shaped by the people around him. Whether it’s his addict mother who is abusive and manipulative but who relies on Chiron for every need. Whether it’s his father figure Juan (the brilliant and award-winning Mahershala Ali) and his warm, caring partner Teresa (Janelle Monae). Whether it’s his best friend Kevin (also played by three actors) whom he shares an unexpectedly powerful connection with. Each character one way or influences Chiron’s behaviour and we see how he grows and evolves by them and his environment. Moonlight is an experience that is too rarely seen in cinema. A film that also catapulted filmmaker Barry Jenkins to auteur status for his singular style. It’s the perfect film for not only, Black History Month or any month where great cinema deserves to be celebrated. 

Moonlight is available to rent on Hoopla for free with a Toronto Public Library card. 

Watch the trailer for the movie here

Don Qarlo is a writer, movie and tv lover, as well as an aspiring showrunner. All he wants to do is tell stories with a big smile on his face. You can catch him at home watching way too much TV or outside just living his life to the fullest.
Zainab is a 4th-year journalism student from Dubai, UAE who is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Ryerson. When she's not taking photos for her Instagram or petting dogs on the street, she's probably watching a rom-com on Netflix or journaling! Zainab loves The Bold Type and would love to work for a magazine in New York City someday! Zainab is a feminist and fierce advocate against social injustice - she hopes to use her platform and writing to create change in the world, one article at a time.