Embrace LGBTQ Pride This GAYpril at Rutgers With These On-Campus Events

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

What better way to celebrate GAYpril than by attending enlightening, empowering, and engaging events that embrace the LGBTQ community on campus at Rutgers? Rutgers has a rich history of celebrating LGBTQ pride and educating others about the experiences of individuals who identify with the LGBTQ community- with previous guests including Lance Bass of *NSYNC, Jujubee from RuPaul’s Drag Race, musical artist Athen Bois Choir, lesbian comic Elvira Kurt, singer/songwriter Scott Freedman, and allies Judy Shepard, mother of Matthew Shepard, Rosie Perez (Do The Right Thing and Untamed Heart), among many more. Here is a list of events that you can attend this April:

APIDA Heritage Month & GAYpril Opening Ceremonies ft. Nico Santos

APRIL 1st 7 PM at Trayes Hall

The beginning of Rutgers’ GAYpril festivities begins with the joint ceremonies hosted by the Center for Social Justice Education and LGBT Communities and the Asian American Cultural Center! This year, they will be featuring actor Nico Santos of Crazy Rich Asians and NBC’S Superstore acclaim.

Queer Crafternoons! Beads & Camp Crafts

APRIL 3rd 4 PM – 6 PM 17 Bartlett St.

Book Talk with Cherrie Moraga

APRIL 4th 6:30 PM Alexander Library 403

Cherrie Moraga, internationally recognized queer Latina poet, essayist, and playwright, will be doing a reading and book signing of “Native Country of the Heart”. It is an intimate memoir about the relationship between a mother and daughter which is at strife with white American history and struggles with the lost U.S. Mexican diaspora.

Spring HIV & STI Testing

APRIL 8th 2 PM – 6:30 PM Busch Student Center MPR

LLEGO Presents: Tie Dye Day

APRIL 8th 5 PM 17 Bartlett St.

Celebrate GAYpril with some free tie-dying! LLEGO (The LGBTQQIA People of Color Organization at Rutgers) will be distributing free white t-shirts of various sizes, rubber bands, and bags. There will be a limited supply of t-shirts with the LLEGO logo on it, which you can reserve by contacting Chris Chua (see contact info in subtitle’s hyperlink).

Women, Hip Hop and Politics in Central America

APRIL 9th 2:20 PM – 3:40 PM Tillett Hall

LATINX Women in Hip Hop Concert: Rebeca Lane & Audry Funk + DJ LOUP ROUG

APRIL 10th 8 PM – Livingston Student Center MPR

Guatemalan feminist poet and hip hop artist Rebeca Vargas Tamayac (AKA “Rebeca Lane”) raps about women’s rights, the struggles of both women and LGBTQ, and the marginalization of the Mayan majority in Guatemala. The concert is followed by a reception from 5 – 6 PM at the Latino and Caribbean Studies (LCS) Seminar Room at Lucy Stone Hall, A266.

Queer Crafternoons! Knitting & Crocheting

APRIL 10th 4 PM – 6 PM 17 Bartlett St.

Pride Shabbat at Rutgers Hillel

APRIL 12th 7 PM 70 College Ave

Panel Discussion: “Queering Sexual Violence”

APRIL 15  – 7 PM Gathering Lounge

Join in on a moderated discussion of the anthology “Queering Sexual Violence”. “Queering Sexual Violence” is about bringing the voices and experiences of LGBTQ+ individuals to light during the anti-violence movement. Featured guests include editor Jennifer Patterson and contributor Darnell L. Moore and it is hosted by Rutgers University Center for Social Justice Education and LGBT Communities and Rutgers University Office for Violence Prevention and Victim Assistance.

Queer Crafternoons! Painting

APRIL 17th 4 PM – 6 PM 17 Bartlett St.

LGBTQ History Trivia Contes

APRIL 18th 6:30 PM – 9 PM RU Academic Building (East Wing, Room 2225)

How much do you know about the history of the LGBTQ community? Rutgers University Center for Social Justice Education and LGBT Communities will be hosting this LGBTQ History Trivia Contest in celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots. The three winning teams will receive gift cards, but the top prize is a gift card worth $500! You can pre-register for the event here: 50thstonewalltrivia.eventbrite.com

Safe(R) Space Training

APRIL 19th 2 PM – 5 PM 411 ABC College Ave. Student Center

This free LGBTQ+ and Ally Workshop is a 3-hour long campus-wide program that strives to visually identify LGBTQ+ allies among the student, faculty, and staff at Rutgers University. It involves understanding the experiences and issues that many of the LGBTQ+ community and increasing awareness of the resources that are available to members of the LGBTQ+ community.

RSVP required: bit.ly/saferspace

LGBTQ Graduate Student Social

APRIL 19th 5:30 PM – 7:30 PM 17 Barlett St.

Are you an LGBTQIA or ally graduate student? If so, join Rutgers University Center for Social Justice Education and LGBT Communities for their monthly LGBTQIA grad student socials. Immerse yourself in casual conversation and meet other new and returning graduate students from different backgrounds and disciplines.

LLEGO Presents: 11th Annual QUEER BALL

APRIL 21st 8 PM – 11 PM College Ave Student Center MPR

LLEGO celebrates the LGBTQ and/or people of color community with the annual Queer Ball! This year’s theme is “STARGAYZING”- so be sure to wear your most holographic, glittery, and out-of-this-world outfit to this unforgettable night full of fun, music, and food.

Take Back the Night March With Women Organizing Against Harassment (#RUTBTN2019)

APRIL 24th 7 PM at Carpender Hall

Join WOAH to speak out and fight against gendered and sexual violence and empower survivors in the Rutgers community. It begins with a rally at Carpender Hall (New Brunswick, NJ) where there will be music and poster making. Then the march starts at 8 PM, which will be down George Street and into Voorhees Mall. At 9 PM, there will be opportunities for individuals to speak out against harassment and perform. Volunteer or Co-Sponsor by emailing RUWOAH@gmail.com.

Queer Caucus Presents: 4TH ANNUAL BIG SPRING CLOTHING SWAP

APRIL 26th  6 PM – 9 PM Trayes Hall B, Douglass Student Center

Have you outgrown of outgendered your clothes? If so, it’s time to make a trip to the 4th Annual Big Spring Clothing Swap hosted by Queer Caucus! This is a free LGBTQ+ clothing swap. If you have clothing that is gently used and clean, you can also donate them to the Queer Caucus all throughout April.

Rainbow Graduation

MAY 10th 5 PM – 7 PM Trayes Hall, Douglass Student Center

It is the 21st annual Rainbow Graduation! Celebrate the end of your time with Rutgers with a dinner, awards ceremony, and tons of celebration! Featuring Keynote Speaker and Class of 1989 Alum, Dan Kaufman, President of DKG Productions. Sign up for the ceremony registration and nominate yourself or someone you know for an award here: bit.ly/rurainbowgrad

As you can see, Rutgers departments and student organizations are determined to provide a safe space for LGBTQ individuals in the community, not just in GAYpril but also throughout the entirety of the academic year. By hosting a month’s worth of gay-positive events, Rutgers is able to increase awareness about the issues the LGBTQ community faces as well as the number of resources that Rutgers makes accessible to its students. If you would like to learn more, check out the series of GAYpril events on Facebook here or save the PDF flyer of their events here.

Keoni Nguyen is a former undergrad student at Rutgers University and the former Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Rutgers (2018-2019).