The Do’s and Don’ts of Rutgers Buses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

The Dos and Don’ts of Rutgers Buses We are a month into school here at Rutgers and some people are still trying to get adjusted to the new year. One of the most important things students are adjusting to is the buses. For the most part, everyone finally knows where the buses go at this point, but there are some dos and don’ts of the buses that people may not be aware of. Here is a list of five things that students should and shouldn’t do while riding the buses.

Do let people off the buses before you get on. This is one of the biggest issues with the buses. People rush onto the bus before letting everybody off and it takes twice as long for the bus to load. It’s harder for people on the bus to get off if there are people pushing through to grab a seat. Let everybody off first before you get on. The bus will load faster so you can be on your way sooner.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

Don’t leave your backpack on the seat. These buses get crowded very quickly and it is important for them to carry as many students as possible. People will let their backpack take up an entire seat which takes away from a student being able to fit. Hold your backpack on your lap or put it under the seat.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Do move as far back as possible when the bus gets crowded. This is along the same lines as the last one. The buses get crowded and they need to carry as many students as possible. Move back to the end of the bus so more students can fit.

Don’t scream across the bus at your friend. You may be excited to see them, but there is no need to yell. It’s bothersome to the other riders. Text them and let them know you are on the bus, then move to them at the next stop. Be respectful of the other students on the bus.                                                                                                                                                                  

Do thank the bus drivers. Yes, it is their job to drive students around, but they have to deal with hundreds of college kids for eight hours a day and we’re not always the easiest people in the world to deal. It’s nice to thank them for driving us around and bringing us to our classes safely. They will appreciate it.

Hi, my name is Katie. I am a junior at Rutgers University and I am majoring in Journalism and Media Studies.