How to Enter the Next Decade with a Brand New Mindset

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Despite how unbelievable it may seem, we are in the homestretch of 2019, and the last two months of the decade. This part of the year tends to encourage thought and reflections on the events of the past 12 months. However, as I write this in the second week of November, and find myself doing this exactly, I beg you to leave the reminiscing to a date closer to December 31st, and choose to live in the moment, as there are nearly a full two months left to make memories in the 2010s. Human beings tend to display a toxic habit of overthinking simple things and talking ourselves out of future successes in fear of our previous failures, however, staying stuck in the past is no way to prepare for the future.  Pexels

We have a need to stick to the familiar and predictable, and this tendency keeps us from taking risks. We gravitate towards things that we can control and understand. But, as Hellen Keller once stated, “Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.” This need for security is what keeps a lot of people from living a truly satisfying and successful life. However, the ability to recognize and change these habits may be the key to living a more genuine and enjoyable life.

Pexels

Take chances and risk embarrassment- even if you expect to fail. A significant portion of the time, we know what it is that we want or desire, however, most of us fail to obtain it out of fear. The familiar, while quite boring, appears to be the easier and most reasonable option, and therefore is what we find ourselves going back to time after time, opposed to making an unfamiliar change or taking a chance. The bottom line is, we, unfairly to ourselves, tend to make decisions based upon our own vulnerabilities and fear of failure or loss.

Pexels

We have been taught that failure is the opposite of success, however, you would be hard pressed to find a successful individual who did not experience at least a few failures on their way up. With two months left of this decade, I challenge you to put fear aside and begin to live a life led by change and risk taking. Do not wait until the New Year- take the last months of the 2010s to change your lifestyle, and enter the next decade with a new mindset that will set the tone for your next ten years. 

Pexels

Alexa Meeson

Queen's U '22

Third year Health Studies/Education student at Queen's Univeristy
HC Queen's U contributor