Campus Cutie: Mike Zhang

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

What’s your favourite movie?

Mommy by Xavier Dolan.

What’s a book that you plan on reading?

I recently started to read Necronomicon by H.P Lovecraft after putting it off for a while :) I’d recommend it if you’re into bleak, surreal horror. 

Name a book that you read in school that positively shaped you.

After reading Orwell’s 1984, my entire perspective about the world changed. I began to wonder how much ‘freedom’ we actually have and how much the state influences our personal lives. I guess that’s not really something that positively shaped me, haha ‒ but it is the most influential book that I’ve read so far! A book that actually improved my life was The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. After learning about practicing mindfulness to overcome anxiety and depression I decided to give this book a read and I can genuinely say it helped me get through some tough times.

On a scale of one to ten how excited are you about life right now?

Being a recent graduate, I would say… 7 or 8? These questions are always hard since you have to quantify a feeling, but I can’t say 10 because I feel some anxiety about the future (who doesn’t?!). I feel like a 7 (or 8) because there are so many things I want to do, from developing my career to learning a new song on the guitar.

Who should EVERYONE be following right now?

Leandra Medine from Man Repeller. She’s hilarious and I love her style.

What’s your favorite food?

Anything from street stalls in China. They have so much variety! From rice noodle soups to salads (always ordered with extra pickled radish and cilantro YUMMM) to desserts. Honestly, food I’ve tried from more expensive restaurants don’t even come close.

Least favorite food?

Mushrooms. They taste like dirt to me, haha.

Diamonds or pearls?

Pearls!

If you had one superpower, what would it be?

Hands down, teleportation. My desire to travel will forever be satisfied. Also… the convenience.

What’s the weirdest word in the English language?

Anything with silent letters. Gnat, pneumonia, gnaw, mnemonic. Like, why?

What is the farthest you have been from home?

Last summer I was teaching English in Shenzhen, China. I’ve never been so far from home, by myself, for that long.

What would the title of your autobiography be?

I really couldn’t think of anything for this question so I took an online quiz and got The Rest is Still Unwritten. I think that’s pretty accurate.

Who is your girl crush?

I love Victoria Beckham. She’s so elegant, sophisticated, and professional. I don’t know how she manages to be a mother to four children and still run a successful fashion label (and still look so great!).

Last photograph you took?

(Actually, my friend Andrea took this) Me, last day of undergrad :)