This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

For most students, including myself, the word “thrifting” connotes dusty, old fur coats, and yellowed lace. However, after a good friend of mine took me thrift shopping, my perspective on it has completely changed. After some thought, I have narrowed everything that I love about thrifting down to it’s three main benefits: that it is environmentally friendly, affordable, and fashionable!

Thrifting is something that is becoming increasingly popular among trendy youth, especially among those who have the good of the environment in mind. In today’s age, fashion trends are peaking, falling, and becoming out-dated faster than we can keep up with. In fact, it has been studied that “The average woman has at least $550 of unworn clothing in her closet, having never worn at least 20 percent of the items in their wardrobes” (Huffington Post Survey), and that most common consumers are unaware of what occurs behind the scenes of large clothing companies during the manufacturing process. Good On You explains that  “Fast fashion can be defined as cheap, trendy clothing, that samples ideas from the catwalk or celebrity culture and turns them into garments in high street stores at breakneck speed” (Good On You).  Companies such as H&M and ZARA are large, popular companies that take part in the fast fashion industry, and contribute to the astonishing number that 85% of the plastic pollution in the ocean is actually from microfibers from synthetic clothing. Additionally, Forbes explains that Fast fashion garments, “which we wear less than five times and keep for thrifty-five days, produce over 400% more carbon emissions per item per year than garments worn 60 times and kept for a full year”.

The planet will thank you for shopping sustainably, and so will your bank account. Thrifting is a great way to reduce your carbon footprint and shop hot trends while staying on budget. I sat down with Elizabeth Lawless, whom I believe to be the Thrift Queen, to discuss her Top Golden Rules that she follows when thrifting. My hope is that after you read through these tips, you too will start thrifting!

Give everything a chance!

“You can’t say you don’t like it until you have tried it on”. What may not catch your eye on the rack, may be appealing when you try it on. Give it a shot!

Go down every aisle & through every section. 

A big part of thrifting is finding the hidden gems. Give every aisle a fair chance, and look. through. everything. You never know what you will find hiding in between a Cars sweater and a Budweiser t-shirt. 

Tip: Choose a rainy day for thrift shopping! If you are going to do it right, it will take a good chunk out of your day!

Ladies; the Boys Toddler section is your Go-To!

Who knew the boy’s toddler tees would make such cute crops! I promise if you are a crop top lover, this section is calling your name! From plain, neutral colours to vibrant and logoed shirts, you will be sure to find your perfect match.

Know your brands

There are many popular brands that you can locate in a thrift store. Popular brands such as Tommy Hilfiger, Nike, Ralph Lauren, can all be hidden gems that are picked up! Keep your eyes peeled and open!

It’s cheap- so experiment!

There is nothing like a new couple pair of t-shirts to get you in the “artsy mood”. While still being mindful of what you are purchasing, don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone, and try out new and fun styles!

Give back

Before you start thrift shopping, purge through your own closest and see if there is anything you can donate. On top of it being environmentally responsible, and it helping others, most Thrift Stores will give you a discount towards your next shopping experience. It’s a Win-Win!

Alexa Meeson

Queen's U '22

Third year Health Studies/Education student at Queen's Univeristy
HC Queen's U contributor