In the Pink at the NYC Cherry Blossom Festival

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purchase chapter.

If your allergies aren’t acting up enough already and you haven’t seen enough dandelions all over campus, then consider heading to Brooklyn this weekend for the annual Cherry Blossom Festival.

The festival, also known as Sakura Matsuri, is held at Brooklyn Botanic Garden. The cherry tree field is in full bloom, scattering pink flowers from the two rows of trees that would give any girly girl a euphoric heart attack.

But if being buried alive in pink flowers isn’t your thing, the festival is part of Hanami, a Japanese celebration of spring. While centered on the flowering trees, the festival embraces Japanese culture.

From anime to origami, multiple facets of the culture are explored. Hungry? There are sushi and bento boxes (Japanese portioned lunches), but don’t worry – the sushi isn’t taken from the garden’s koi pond.

There are tea ceremonies and a make-your-own tea bag activity. See the twisted bonsai trees and ogle vintage kimonos.  There are performances of Taiko drumming and dances that are reminiscent of being on set of Memoirs of a Geisha.

And in lieu of the recent devastation in Japan, Brooklyn Botanic Garden donates two dollars to the relief fund for every donated origami crane they receive.

The gardens are beautiful on their own. Purchase literature majors will appreciate the Shakespeare garden and photo students should take the opportunity for an impromptu photo shoot.

Or just play in the pretty pink flowers, because that’s what really matters.

Sakura Matsuri is Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Admission is $10 for students.

For more information, visit the Brooklyn Botanic Garden website. 

Gabriele is a sophomore journalism major. She attends SUNY Purchase College after transferring from SUNY Albany.