I’m a firm believer in dealing with emotions head-on instead of suppressing them. Whether you are in touch with your emotions or not, crying is something we all need to do once in a while.

That being said, here are my top 10 songs to cope with crappy, dreary days.

“Stoned at the nail salon” by Lorde

Have you recently moved out of your childhood home? Do you find yourself thinking about your sophomore year of high school before everything in your life got complicated? This song will literally leave you in tears (the bittersweet kind). Lorde absolutely does not miss.

“SEA, SWALLOW ME” BY COCTEAU TWINS

If you don’t already know about the Cocteau Twins, here is your gateway into one of the most talented bands. The Cocteau Twins are so advanced within their art, and they focus more on the movement of the music than the actual lyrics. Their lyrics are usually a combination of words from different languages and pretty much gibberish.

When I listen to their songs, I feel the singers’ emotion and passion through the instruments and vocals.

“MOTION SICKNESS” BY PHOEBE BRIDGERS

This song went viral on TikTok this past summer, and ever since then, I’ve been obsessed. Phoebe Bridgers’ soft voice paired with these lyrics amplifies her nostalgia and resentment.

This song resonates with a lot of people for different reasons. How does Phoebe capture my feelings so well? I’m convinced I’ve never had an original experience. Ever.

“CELLOPHANE” BY FKA TWIGS

One of my favorite symbols within a song would be FKA twig’s reference to cellophane. I don’t know how she transformed a cheap, plastic material into one of the best metaphors of the century, but she figured it out.

The song is based around FKA twig’s desire for her public relationship to be more private, so she tries to wrap it in cellophane. However, due cellophane’s clear and cheap nature, FKA twigs remains vulnerable to the outside world despite her attempt at privacy and intimacy.

“HOPE IS A DANGEROUS THING FOR A WOMAN LIKE ME TO HAVE – BUT I HAVE IT” BY LANA DEL REY

Lana Del Rey expresses her angst and struggles with mental illness through this beautifully-written ballad accompanied by piano.

There are many references to Americana literature within all of Lana Del Rey’s songs, especially those on “Norman Fucking Rockwell!” Sylvia Plath, Slim Aarons, and Steven King are just a few notable artists she references in this song.

“DEMI MOORE” BY PHOEBE BRIDGERS

I think we’ve all mistaken lust for love at some point in our lives. Phoebe Bridgers captures the feeling of vulnerability, loneliness and substance abuse in the best way possible through this song.

“VIENNA” BY BILLY JOEL

Although this song is written from the perspective of Billy Joel’s father, I relate this song to my inner child. This song perfectly embodies childhood nostalgia along with some resentment towards adulthood.

“Thinkin bout you” by frank ocean

This song is nearly 10 years old, but I genuinely believe that it will always be relevant. Frank Ocean is one of the most talented and humble artists to exist. I feel blessed to be living on earth while Frank Ocean is actively creating and producing music.

In “Thinkin Bout You,” Frank Ocean takes us back to our first loves. Whether you are long past your first love or have yet to experience it, this song captures the desire to feel something for the first time again.

“BE MY MISTAKE” by The 1975

This song by The 1975 describes the aftermath of a serious breakup through an insignificant hookup. The 1975 normally doesn’t have acoustic songs on their album, but this guitar ballad perfectly compliments the hopeless lyrics.

Matty Healy, the lead singer of The 1975, compares his former lover throughout the song to his lover “just for the night.”

“BASIC INSTINCT” BY THE ACID

To my fellow lovers of “Shameless,” you know exactly what scene this song is from. The Acid’s song embodies the feeling of hopelessness and toxicity towards someone or something you cannot part with.

If you’re interested in hearing more of my favorite sad songs, check out my Spotify playlist below!

Arden Ericson intends to graduate from Penn State in 2023 with degrees in Public Relations and French Language. She is very passionate about social justice, literature, and music.