Felicity Warner
Sex + Relationships

Avoiding F**kboy Love 101

Picture this: you’re in college and you think you met Mr. Perfect. Little did you know this guy who seemed absolutely perfect, extremely cute, and like a true gentleman was talking to five other girls. And the sad part is, with college dating and hookup culture, this is extremely normal.

So, if you are looking for something more serious, or if you are simply looking for ways to not fall for the f**kboy charm, follow along.

Don’t take every compliment seriously
Image

He is really good at smooth-talking, and you like the constant attention he gives you. I get it. Everybody likes compliments. But you shouldn’t take every compliment seriously because there are high chances he doesn’t mean all of them. 

He is really good at smooth-talking for a reason: he had plenty of practice. This is a skill he learned by talking to multiple people and learning what they like to hear. Stay alert and don’t believe every single thing he tells you.

If he always takes too long to text back, take it as a warning

Yes, he might just be busy. But, if he always takes too long to respond, be aware. If one time he seems really into you, starts ghosting you out of the blue, and then comes back as if nothing happened, be careful. This might be a sign that he only talks to you when it’s convenient for him. 

If this happens, I would stay alert to see if he is truly busy or if he only hits you up when he has no one else. 

Beware of “I’m not looking for a relationship right now”

If a guy tells you he is not looking for a relationship, do yourself a favor and believe him. If they say it, usually what they really mean is that they are not willing to date you, and you will hardly ever be able to change someone’s mind about it.

Save yourself from heartbreak and don’t expect a love story from someone who says they are not looking for a relationship. Instead, focus your attention on someone who actually wants to be with you.

All his “friends” might not be just friends
Image
The Lala

I am the biggest supporter of male-female friendships. I have many great friendships with guys that I know will never grow to be anything more than that. 

However, I am not naive. If a guy is a little bit too friendly with a girl he claims to be “just friends with,” flirts with her, or has too many girls blowing up his phone, I’d be a little bit cautious. 

He might get physical too quickly

To tell the truth, a guy wanting something physical with you might be the only reason he is contacting you at all. So, if he is trying to move into something physical too quickly or if that is the only thing he seems to want to do when you are together, that is a major red flag.

In addition to that, if you don’t want to do anything physical, and the person keeps insisting or trying to bring the relationship in that direction, they don’t really care about you or your feelings.

You deserve so much more and much better.

Renata is from Amazonas, Brazil, and studies international politics and broadcast journalism at Penn State. Her hobbies include reading and writing, editing pictures, and dancing for fun. She likes to learn new languages, currently speaks four, and is trying to learn a fifth. Fun fact: she wrote a book, but let’s not talk about that.