Meet Orientation Leader- Morgan Starkey!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

Major: Psychology, Minor: Spanish 

Hometown: Sandy Spring, MD

Fun fact: I am a certified Zumba instructor

Favorite Sports Team: Washington Capitals 

Favorite movie: Elf

What Activities are you a part of?

New Student Orientation, Admissions Ambassadors, Leadership Fellows Program, Student Alumni Association, Dance Club, Athletic Ticket Office Student Worker, Intramural Sports, Adult literacy, Peer Ministry, PC international immersion trip to Jamaica 

Which one is your favorite and why?

My favorite involvement by far is being an Orientation Leader! I have absolutely loved having the opportunity to be an OL over the past 2 years, as it has given me the opportunity to connect with so many new students and fellow leaders. I’ve always tried to make everyone feel welcomed and accepted, and being an OL allows me to mentor new students and help them find their place here at PC. I have had so much fun participating in bonding activities with the staff, playing ice breakers with freshmen, and spending time with freshmen and leaders at Social Programming (like Carnival and Casino Night)! Through being an Orientation Leader, I have met some of my very best friends and biggest role models. I have never met a more genuine group of people, and I am so excited for one last year with an incredible staff!

What advice do you have to underclassman?

My biggest piece of advice for underclassman is to stay true to yourself and don’t worry about having a friend group! Coming into college, I was so worried about having one friend group that did everything together. When I didn’t find that immediately, I got down on myself, but I decided to put myself out there by becoming more involved in clubs and organizations I was passionate about. By stepping outside of my comfort zone and becoming more involved, I have met so many amazing friends. Focus on becoming involved and meeting new people instead of on finding one friend group! It’s best to have a bunch of friends who have similar values and passions! 

What are your after college plans?

After college, I want to attend graduate school (probably in Boston) to pursue a degree in Occupational Therapy. I’ve always enjoyed working with children with disabilities, and I would love to continue through becoming a Pediatric Occupational Therapist!