This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

The weekend has arrived and you’re tired of being on-campus after a long week of class, homework and papers.  Being that we’re located in Portland, Oregon, there are so many different activities you can do for a fun weekend off-campus.  Whether it be a day trip or a few hours away from your dorm, here are a few fun places to go!

1. The Oregon Coast

Salt in the air and sand in your hair. This’ll happen when you visit the Oregon coast. Nothing beats staring into the vast ocean and letting that ocean breeze hit your face as you hang out with some of your besties. Continue the fun and stop at the Tillamook Cheese Factory as one of your pit stops.

2. Forest Park

Grab a couple of your friends for a Saturday morning hike in the UP ‘backyard”.  Forest Park has so many different hiking trails for you to explore, plus it’s only like a 20-minute drive from campus!

3. Mississippi Avenue or Alberta Street

These two streets are great spots for you to explore new restaurants and cute little shops.  On Alberta Street, you can find Salt & Straw (who doesn’t love ice cream) and Collage, a cute craft store. Mississippi Street is home to one of my all-time favorite restaurants in Portland, Por Que No, so check it out!

4. The Grotto

Do you ever just get so stressed with school and the business of life that you just need somewhere to relieve some of that stress?  If so and you’re like me, I would definitely recommend checking out The Grotto.  The Grotto is a Catholic shrine and garden, with a lookout where you can see some of Portland!  Being able to just walk around, reflect, meditate or pray’s a great way to relax and doing it out with nature’s an added bonus!

5. Cathedral Park

Take a quick stroll down over to the St. John’s neighborhood and visit the park that lies under the St. John’s Bridge.  Bring some blankets and enjoy a picnic with some friends.

Victoria is a senior marketing major with a sustainability minor at the University of Portland. In her free time, she loves browsing the aisles of Target, exploring Portland and drinking chocolate milk. When in doubt her outfits are almost entirely from Old Navy and you can normally find her in Kenna Hall where she is one of the Resident Assistants.