It’s Been 7 Years and I’m Still Not Over Haylor, and I Just Can’t Shake it Off.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Now, back in good ol’ 2012, I was the biggest Directioner ever. I had posters, dolls, the albums, pillows, stickers, phone cases, you name it. 2012 was a very dark time for many of us Directioners because that is when the worst relationship in history happened. Harry Styles and Taylor Swift became an item. Call up my dad, I cried. Taylor Swift, known for writing songs about her exes dating Harry Styles.  We all hoped they wouldn’t be end game.

Twitter blew up, the fandom became divided, it was complete and utter chaos. One thing, I never understood though was how everyone believed that “I Knew You Were Trouble” was about Harry Styles. It didn’t make sense considering that they started dating after the single was released. It wasn’t until the singer herself Taylor Swift confirmed that the song was about him that everyone believed it.

“I Knew You Were Trouble” is not about Harry Styles. Look what you made me do Taylor, I made an entire timeline when I should’ve been preparing for finals.

March 2012: They meet.

Harry Styles and Taylor Swift first met at the 2012 Kids Choice Awards eight months before “I Knew You Were Trouble” was released as a single.

Spring 2012: “Secret Relationship”

Supposedly during this time, Taylor and Harry started a “secret” relationship and ended the secret relationship that no one knew about until after their very public break up months later.

I have no information for you here because it was a secret that only a couple sources know about and there are no photos or any public appearances.

Summer of 2012: Taylor Swift and Conor Kennedy are dating

Oct. 8, 2012: Swift previews I Knew You Were Trouble on Good Morning America

So before #Haylor was a thing and before they broke up, the song is released….makes sense.

Oct. 9, 2012: I Knew You Were Trouble was released

I Knew You Were Trouble was released as the third single from her fourth studio album.  

Oct. 25, 2012: Us Weekly confirms that Taylor Swift and Conor Kennedy broke up

So Tay-tay broke up with Conor Kennedy the same month the song was released and supposedly the same month that Harry Styles “cheated” on her. Okay, makes perfect sense.

November 2012: Mario Lopez lets it slip

According to MTV.com, Mario Lopez shared the on-set intel with the world on his 104.4 MY FM radio show on Nov.16, 2012.

“Taylor Swift was the special guest performer, and a little inside scoop for you: During rehearsals, Harry from One Direction came and slapped me on the back and said, ‘Hey, Mario, how ya doing?’ And I said, ‘What are you doing here?’ And he sort of [pointed] toward Taylor.”

Okay so…

December 2012: The public hang out at Central Park that confirms the relationship

Where’s the bad blood between the two? There is none!

Dec. 14, 2012: I Knew You Were Trouble music video is released

Fans started speculating the song was about Harry because of the similarities in the music video however fast forward a couple weeks and….

New Year’s Eve 2013:

They share a New Year’s Eve kiss in Times Square

So, the song is about Harry, the music video is about Harry but they’re still going strong on New Year’s Eve…okay makes sense. Did Taylor Swift just become The Flash and screw up the timeline? Honestly, that makes more sense than what actually happened.

January 2013: Haylor is no more

So, after they breakup, Tswizzle posts a lyric off of I Knew You Were Trouble on Twitter three months after the release of the single. I mean that’s like imitating a British accent during an award show while singing a song that yet again is not about Harry Styles.

March 2013: TSwift confirms it’s about Harry

This is why we can’t have nice things Taylor. I know that it’s allegedly confirmed that you two had a thing in Spring of 2012 but how is it that there are no pictures but yet the One Direction had pictures of them just chilling at the airport because fans hacked into the security system?

I almost do want to believe that I Knew You Were Trouble is about Harry but I know all too well that the timeline doesn’t add up. I don’t know what I can say more than this to make my point.

Call it what you want, but I Knew You Were Trouble is not about Harry. While it can relate to Harry Styles now that the relationship is over, it wasn’t originally about him.

Her Campus Marketing and Publicity Coordinator HI! I'm a Public Relations and Advertising major at Point Park University. Coffee, dogs, and Spider-Man are a few of my favorite things. Follow me on Twitter @shelby_fink1998 , Instagram @shelbstersfink. I can be reached by email @shelbyfink.sf@gmail.com
Rebekah Mohrmann is a Senior Sports, Arts, and Entertainment Management major and Multimedia minor at Point Park University. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter at @rebekahxmarie.