The Ultimate Guide to Tacos, From Someone Who Loves Tacos A LOT

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

One of the best foods on the planet is the taco, hands down! You can eat them for breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner, and dessert. Eat corn tortillas or lettuce wraps for a light healthy taco, or load up with cheese and a quesadilla-shell for the ultimate hangover cure. There are so many kinds of tacos and many different cultures have put their own twist on the original. Check out this hand-picked guide for all the classics – and a few new ones that are drool-worthy! Remember, some ingredients may seem unusual or strange to you, but, trust me, all the flavors together taste AMAZING!

The Original Taco

There’s actually many different types of traditional tacos, but the one variety that many people think of as the “original” has two corn tortillas piled with pork (carnitas), beef (barbacoa), or sausage (chorizo). The meat is covered in white onion, salsa, guac, and cilantro. It’s served with half a lime to squeeze on top!

The Fish Taco (Tacos de Pescado)

I just had authentic fish tacos for the first-time last weekend and they were AMAZING. I personally enjoy mahi-mahi fish tacos, but snapper, halibut, cod, or any other mild saltwater fish can be used. The fish is served on top of corn or flour tortillas and covered in cabbage or slaw, pico del gallo, a citrus-sour cream sauce. Shrimp is also a popular meat choice paired with these toppings. Pictured is an Asian-style grilled fish taco with carrot and cabbage slaw, radish, and an avocado slice.

The Chicken Taco

These chicken tacos I got in Arizona had meat marinated in lemon and cilantro and were topped with cabbage, cheese, and a cilantro-avocado sauce. The lime wedge and pickled onion that came on the side brought out the tang of lemon in the marinade. I was also given a variety of different salsas to try. I recommend getting lots of sides with your tacos to experiment with flavors!

The Breakfast Taco

The best breakfast tacos I’ve ever had were made by my dad. He cooks chorizo and scrambled eggs in a cast iron skillet and we top them with a ton of cheese and salsa and wrap them in pan-warmed flour tortillas. My mouth is watering just thinking about it! Breakfast tacos can include steak, potatoes, and fajitas (peppers and onion). These are super fun to make on the weekends with your roommates or family!

The Taquito

Taquitos are little tacos rolled up and fried to crispy perfection. Typically, taquitos only have shredded chicken, beef, or pork and are dipped in salsa or covering in traditional toppings, sort of like nachos! The pictured taquitos take on a Thai spin and are stuffed with red curry and pork. You can get the recipe here. Taquitos make amazing appetizers and great to share!

The Frybread Taco

Also known as “Navajo Tacos,” these babies are stuffed with spicy meat and tangy salsas. Frying the bread is a coveted skill, as the result yields a non-greasy, addictive flat bread. The Mexican, Native American, and European-inspired tacos are a winning combo! These are often served at festivals and family gatherings in the Western half of the United States. Try this version next time you have friends over!

The Quesadilla Taco

Let it be known that after I found this picture, I had to go out and get a quesadilla! Doesn’t this look amazing?! There’s no meat in these tacos, only cabbage and cilantro, making these vegetarian friendly! Of course, you can make a chicken quesadilla for the shell, or put meat in the queso-taco itself. Experiment with different kinds of cheese, like pepper jack, mozzarella, and munster to create the perfect flavor combination.

The Vegan Taco

Don’t worry, Vegans, you can eat tacos too! Sweet potatoes, tofu, bean beans and soy, portabella mushrooms, or avocados are used as the meat substitute. Tofu can be seasoned like meat and can be used in any taco above! Pictured are portabella mushroom tacos with cabbage, cilantro and lime, peppers, and a vegan jalapeno sauce.

The American Taco

How could I leave out this babe of a taco?? The ultimate Tex-Mex meal, huge flour tortillas are dominated by seasoned ground beef or grilled chicken covered in cheddar cheese, sour cream, salsa, lettuce, tomato, and fajitas. Rice and beans are usually served on the side.

The Best Taco Places in the Burgh

Whether you like fish, red meat, or no meat, there’s a taco out there for you! Interesting in trying these tacos in Pittsburgh? The Steel Cactus in Shadyside has famous fish tacos with pineapple and a cayenne-lime sauce. You can also make your own – they have their own style called “Cactus” that tops tacos with a spicy slaw, roasted corn salad and fresh queso! Another favorite is Täkō, a restaurant serving tacos with “Asian persuasion.” Some crowd favorites are the Korean tacos (wagyu short rib, peanuts, cucumber, cabbage, and cilantro) or the Tako tacos, which have grilled octopus in them! Other unique taco places with amazing menus are Round Corner Cantina, El Burro, and Las Palmas. Happy taco-ing!

Photo Cred: 1, 2, 3, author’s own, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Sources: 1, 2

Sarah Churchman, HC Pitt's Senior Editor, is a super senior at the University of Pittsburgh studying Computer & Information Science with a specialty in User Design! She is the reserach lead in CyREN, the school's cybersecurity lab. Along with InfoSci, Sarah is minoring in Creative Writing with a focus in poetry. She is an editor at Forbes & Fifth, a student-run magazine. She is also part of H2o church. She's obsessed with tacos, Tommy Hilfiger, and ordering things off Amazon Prime!
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt