Six Museums and Art Galleries that are Free for Pitt Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Gallerie Chiz

Gallerie Chiz, located in the East Liberty neighborhood of Pittsburgh, is a quirky modern art gallery which features creations paintings, sculptures, and ceramics and jewelry, to mention just a few.

The quirky mosaic designs covering the outside of the gallery indicate that you have arrived. Once you enter, you’ll be greeted by the warm and kind owner, Ellen Chisdes Neuberg, from which the name of the gallery originates. She will personally describe and explain the exhibits currently on display. On display from September 2 to October 15 of 2016 is, “AN ANTHROPOLOGY: Tales of Land, Sea, & Sky.” It features the intricate and outspoken ceramic works by Cynthia Consentino which speak out against animal cruelty, traditional gender roles, sexuality and more.

The Mattress Factory

Free with your Pitt ID, the Mattress Factory is an immersive art experience. One exhibition currently on display is Dennis Maher’s “A Second Home” which is an interesting exhibit that shows different elements of household items and furniture constructed into room-size pieces. Another installation features room sized pieces by David Bowen, Kevin Clancy, Lauren Kalman, Wendy Judge which include pieces featuring cute cats resting on laptops. What more convincing do you need to check out this place?

Future Tenant

The interesting concept behind this wandering gallery, Future Tenant, is that it isn’t anchored down to one permanent location – it could change locations at any time. Future Tenant is a melting pot for artists and their audiences to come together and appreciate art which is open to audiences own interpretations. On display is currently is “A Black Man Made This Art” by D.S. Kinsel which is rooted in reclaiming the oppressive and offensive language that was and is used towards black people.

Carnegie Museum of Art

If you haven’t been to the Carnegie Museum of Art, I highly recommend it! Admission is free with your Pitt ID and the museum has everything from Monet’s “Water Lilies” to a wall of structurally unique chairs. Contemporary art, fine art, decorative arts – you can find it all at this museum. Currently on special display is Alison Knowles’ work which features everyday objects seen in a new light. You can actually interact with one of the pieces called “Bean Garden” where Knowles invites you to take off your shoes and step into a shallow pit of beans to pay attention to the resulting sensory extravaganza.

(“Bean Garden” ft. cute kid)

Wood Street Galleries and SPACE Gallery

Located within blocks of each other downtown, the Wood Street Galleries and the SPACE gallery are dynamic galleries. They feature different artists, pieces, ideas and themes depending on the exhibit and don’t have any permanent collections. The galleries change exhibits every few months so there is always something new to check out! Currently the SPACE gallery does not have any upcoming exhibits, but, the Wood Street galleries will be showing DATA.MATRIX by artist Ryoji Ikeda from September 23rd to December 31st. Ikeda is Japan’s leading visual artist and his installation will feature light and sound.

(Data.Matrix by Ryoji Ikeda)

So if you find yourself looking for something to do but empty pockets (like most of us), come check out these super cool places! I think you’ll agree that they are worth the trip.

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Sources: 1, 2, 3

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt