This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

Image from pixabay

Of course all of us want to have great bodies, and we want to be able to live a very long life with minimal amounts of health problems. In order to have such a great life, we have to work on ourselves and the sooner we start, the easier it will be for us in the future. Here are a few tips to start with and to eventually grow on. 

1.​Drink more water

Although this is said so many times, this is key to success. If you replace all your juice and/or sodas with water you can eliminate drinking your calories. You can be eating a salad and drinking Lemonade or Ice Tea, which have tons of sugar. This really wouldn’t be helping yourself to eat “healthier.” 

2.​Gym at your own risk

Yes, the gym; the place some of us fear the most. The gym will be your best friend because it will help you on your journey on becoming a healthier person, but don’t overdo it. No results do not just happen overnight nor will you see a change in a few days, but you will if you are consistent. You don’t have to attend the gym everyday start small every other day, and then you may actually enjoy it and eventually go every day. 

3.​Get your friends to join in on it!

Having your friends by your side will help you push through workouts and stay true to your diets. Having friends by your side gives you more motivation. When you feel like giving up, your friends can encourage you or, like my friends, flat out just not let you quit at all. Friends can make working out fun and help them go by faster; you may even get in a laugh or two here and there. In general, doing things with friends is much more pleasing than doing it alone, so bring a friend or two and sweat off some calories together! 

4.​Pre-make healthy snacks for the day/week.

Pre-making your snacks before you take on the world is a key element. We are all guilty of going about our day and seeing a vending machine, or just buying snacks at a convenience store. If you pre-make your snacks, you don’t have to give in to buying unhealthy snacks and plus you can save a little cash-we all know ready-to-go snack are always overpriced anyways. 

5.​Avoid fad diets! 

These diets are not healthy for you nor do they actually help you put off weight for good. The end goal of everything is to become a healthier person, and possibly lose a few pounds the healthy way (if you need to). Fad diets are the diets that claim to help you “Lose up to 20 pounds in one week!” While these may actually help you lose 10 pounds in 1 week, that’s not healthy, nor does it help you keep off the weight effectively. Fad diets are the number 1 way not to lose weight and the number 1 unhealthiest diets that one can participate in. 

Jacinda Soto St. Katherine Drexel Church Attended Cardinal O’Hara High School with a full academic scholarship Sports Cheerleading – captain for 3 consecutive years Varsity Soccer Varsity Track Varsity Swimming – Coach Award   Volunteer Hand in Hand                                                                                             Philadelphia Marathon Philadelphia Union                                                                                   Chester United The William Trippley Foundation                                                                    Golden Touch Sandwich Club                                                                                                              Operation Santa Claus   Activities Archonettes Program - President (Zeta Phi Beta)                                                   National Honor Society                  Peer Counselor                                                                                                                              Adopt a child Sports Manager                                                                                                                             Kairo’s Leader   Internship (summer 2015) CBS                                                                                                                                        WIP   My dreams are to become a Sports Commentator and host my own sports show.  
Megan Antosy is a junior at Penn State Berks double majoring in Business with an option in Marketing and Management, and Professional writing. She also has minors in Entrepreneurship and Women's Studies. When she isn't busy writing or editing articles for HC, you can find her on the beach, reading a book, taking a nap, or drinking tea. She is also Co-CC.