Miss Universe Canada

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

Siera Bearchell, Miss Universe Canada, has been verbally attacked due to her weight. She is competing for the title of Miss Universe, on January 29th.

She is healthy. Bearchell stated that she was basically starving herself at other pageants and she was understandably miserable. She might not be as thin as the other contestants but that’s not her healthy weight. She honestly doesn’t look much different than the other contestants.

The big issue I have with this is the media’s role. They are the ones questioning her on her weight, which is a departure from the usual weight-shaming. Generally, people comment about it on social media and hide behind their computers. She is being asked about her weight by the press, which I liken to the press constantly mentioning to the Williams sisters about their age. No one really cares how old you are or what you weigh. It’s sadly just people looking to create a story where there isn’t one.  

Megan Antosy is a junior at Penn State Berks double majoring in Business with an option in Marketing and Management, and Professional writing. She also has minors in Entrepreneurship and Women's Studies. When she isn't busy writing or editing articles for HC, you can find her on the beach, reading a book, taking a nap, or drinking tea. She is also Co-CC.