20 Signs You Are A Latina

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

Growing up in the Hispanic community is never normal, everyday is full of excitement and you may even meet a new cousin or two! Everyone is raised differently but all of us can agree that these are some of the things that every Hispanic has faced at least once in their lifetime.

1. Everyone calls you “Spanish” and it kills your soul because you are only “Spanish” if you are from Spain. But no one seem to understand that fact.

2. You have these high expectations of what love is like and how horrible men are because of all the Telenovelas you watched growing up.

3. Vicks Vapor Rub cures everything… Literally everything from a common cold to a broken foot or a broken heart.

4. If Vicks didn’t fix it this saying, “Sana sana colita de rana” would most definitely cure whatever the problem was.

5. Loud music on the weekends meant a cleaning spree was about to take place.

6. People think you are always yelling when this is actually a comfortable volume for you to be speaking at.

7. Always being asked, “Why are you yelling?” when you think you are speaking at a normal level.

8. Every family party never ends literally the music actually gets louder as the clock approached 3AM.

9. You have a cousin who doubles as your best friend.

10. Every time you see your TÍa she asks about your love life.

11. You will forever have a infinite fear of chanclas.

12. Feeling like the weird class experiment when everyone says “can you say _____ in Spanish?”

13. Every mans’ pick-up line happens to be “Hey Mami.”

14. Mastering the art of a very exclusive language called “Spanglish”

15. Not knowing how to say certain words in English.

16. Translating something word for word and it makes completely no sense at all in English but in Spanish it’s a understanding phrase that gets a very important message across.

17. People always feel the need to practice their Spanish on you, but somehow it’s either really good or very bad.

18. Everyone assumes you’re Mexican, as if that’s the only place people who speak Spanish come from.

19. You feel like you meet a new family member at every family event.

20. You kiss everyone when you enter the family event and as you leave… Literally everyone.
Jacinda Soto St. Katherine Drexel Church Attended Cardinal O’Hara High School with a full academic scholarship Sports Cheerleading – captain for 3 consecutive years Varsity Soccer Varsity Track Varsity Swimming – Coach Award   Volunteer Hand in Hand                                                                                             Philadelphia Marathon Philadelphia Union                                                                                   Chester United The William Trippley Foundation                                                                    Golden Touch Sandwich Club                                                                                                              Operation Santa Claus   Activities Archonettes Program - President (Zeta Phi Beta)                                                   National Honor Society                  Peer Counselor                                                                                                                              Adopt a child Sports Manager                                                                                                                             Kairo’s Leader   Internship (summer 2015) CBS                                                                                                                                        WIP   My dreams are to become a Sports Commentator and host my own sports show.