This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

There were a lot of binge-worthy television shows added to Netflix this year, and some veteran shows that just keep getting better. So if you’re looking for new shows to watch for this new year, here are some that I recommend and some that have been recommended to me.

Comedies

One of my all-time favorite comedy shows, Grace and Frankie, had a fifth season added to Netflix in January and  I watched all 13 episodes within a span of two days. This Netflix Original is about how two women in their seventies rebuild their lives together after their husbands divorce them to be with each other. Starring in the show are Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin, both of whom are award-winning comedy legends. If you don’t know who they are, I highly suggest watching them in Grace and Frankie. And if you do know who they are,  you should also consider watching Grace and Frankie.

Another popular comedy on Netflix right now is The Good Place, starring Kristen Bell and Ted Danson. It consists of a hilarious cast and an interesting story. The Critics’ Choice TV Award-winning show dives into what happens after you die and why you end up where you do.

Another Netflix Original that just added a new season is Friends From College. Once again, I watched the entire second season within a couple of days. This show is probably not as popular as the others that I have previously mentioned, but it’s still totally worth watching. This comedy also has an all-star cast including Keegan-Michael Key, Cobie Smulders, Fred Savage, and Billy Eichner among many other talented actors.

Dramas

One of my favorite series from this past year has to be the season following Ryan Murphy’s The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story. This chilling true story stars Edgar Ramírez, Ricky Martin, Penélope Cruz, and Darren Criss. Criss won a Golden Globe, an Emmy, a Critics’ Choice, and a Screen Actors Guild Award for his portrayal of Andrew Cunanan, the murderer of Gianni Versace and four other men, in the limited series and the former Glee star definitely deserved it. I 100% recommend watching this heartbreaking true story that reflects on a tragedy that could have been prevented.

I haven’t watched many other dramas this year, but many people have recommended some to me. Other Netflix dramas that my family and friends have suggested I watch this year include: Sex Education, You, FYRE: The Greatest Party That Never Happened, and Conversations With A Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes.

There are so many incredible shows to watch or catch up on this year. So if you plan on spending most of your time between classes bingeing on Netflix, these are just a handful of some really great ones that I found particularly binge-worthy.

My name is Alyssa and I major in Communication Studies and Film and Screen Studies at Pace University NYC. I love writing, theater, movies, and music. My favorite activities are exploring New York City with friends and hiking with my family.