This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Shane Dawson is by no means new to the YouTube scene but his recent content is. Shane started his YouTube channel in 2008 posting sketch comedy videos where he would play a variety of different characters. He quickly gained popularity on the platform and went on to release several singles, two books, and launch a popular podcast. However, despite past success and being one of the most well-known creators on YouTube, Shane decided to revamp his channel in late 2017 following some creative block.

In November of 2017, Shane was no longer posting videos five days a week with titles like “Selling My Underwear on eBay for *$100,000*”. Instead, he began posting documentary- style series with videos posted several days apart. Shane made these mini docuseries on a multitude of different topics but they really began to grow in popularity after Shane’s series on the failed Tanacon convention.

In the summer of 2018, YouTuber Tana Mongeau held a disastrous convention that was ultimately penned as “The Frye Festival of YouTube.” Shane Dawson created a three-part series interviewing Tana and other people responsible for the failed convention. The first video in the series currently has 17 million views. Shane’s next project was the five-part series entitled “The Secret Life of Jeffree Star.” In this series, Shane investigated the life of controversial makeup mogul and YouTuber Jeffree Star. This series was highly praised and even trended on YouTube.

Shane’s most recent and most controversial series was “The Mind of Jake Paul,” an eight-part series on YouTuber Jake Paul. There was significant backlash from this video because people argued that Shane should not give someone as controversial as Jake such a large platform. The series was a massive success, with the first video gaining 21 million views.

On Monday, October 22nd, the annual Streamy Award show was held. This event recognizes YouTubers and social media influencers for their platforms that they have built. Shane Dawson was awarded the Creator of the Year Award (as well as two other awards) which Tana Mongeau accepted on his behalf. In the past, Shane has been seen as somewhat controversial because of insensitive jokes he has made. For him to finally get the recognition he deserves truly shows how much he has changed YouTube and the community it entails.

Gabby Farris is a first year student at Pace University NYC studying International Management. She is from North Carolina and has a passion for theatre, shopping, and food which makes living in New York City pretty exciting.