The Oculus: Downtown’s Newest Hot Spot

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

The Oculus opened on August 16 th in Lower Manhattan after 12 years of construction and Pace students now have the luxury of the Westfield mall blocks away from campus. 

The Transportation Hub that connects PATH trains from New Jersey now links underneath the Fulton Street subway station. Brookfield Place, which is located in Battery Park City, is also connected underground and is a short walk to Regal Cinemas, LuLulemon, and tons events like the ice skating rink and movie festivals that happen year round! In addition, the Oculus along with 4 World Trade, recently developed office and residential building next to the Oculus, now has Eatly, which is an Italian market place full of restaurants and bakeries, and the soon to be two tier H&M.

On a sunny day, the light pours through the skylight of the Oculus, illumining the white infrastructure and if you look above, one can catch a sight of the World Trade Center. Open 24 hours, you can find over 150 stores including the two floor Apple store, Victoria Secret, Dior, Joe and The Juice, Kate Spade, along with more restaurants and stores opening at the end of 2016.

This new addition to downtown is wonderful for Pace students, and all New Yorkers, as less money can be spent on a metro card swipe heading to Uptown to shop and instead can now be spent in revitalizing the financial district! No other college campus in New York City has a mall of this size blocks away from their school so open your wallets, and stomachs, and take advantage of this opportunity!

Hey everyone! My name is Ariana Gavriilidis. I am from a small town in New Jersey and I now reside in New York City! I am earning a Bachelor of Arts from Pace University in Communications with a Concentration in Media, Communications, and Visual Arts. I also have a minor in Arts and Entertainment Management. In my spare time I enjoy photography, working out, and seeing as many movies as possible! I am excited to be apart of Her Campus as writing has always been my passion. Make sure to check out my articles as well as my radio show, Winging it with Ariana, where I have new episodes every Tuesday! https://www.mixcloud.com/WIWARIANA/