Five Tips for Planning the Best Adventure

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

1. Make sure you can afford it

• Set a realistic budget for yourself and then do some research online
  • Create an Excel or Google sheet
  • Factor in transportation both ways and what it will cost to travel around the country, or countries, of your choice
  • Hostel World will be your best friend during these beginning phases for checking out cheap accommodations
  • EXCURSIONS! Scroll through Pinterest to find some of the must-sees and budget them out

2. Book it all

• Transportation and accommodations should be booked ahead of time
  • Investigate what activities and excursions need to be booked in advance 
  • You don’t have to book everything before you go. Leave some room for spontaneity 

3. Travel with the right person/people

• Make sure the person/people you are traveling with are those you enjoy being around and get along with
  • Be on the same page in terms of budget
  • Have similar itineraries and agree on must-haves for accommodations
  • There will be fewer arguments during planning sessions if you agree on important things

4. Don’t over pack

• This summer, I spent a month living out of a backpack and it taught me that you don’t need all the clothes and shoes in the world to look good on a trip
  • Even if you’re only traveling for a week or two, keep it light
  • It’ll be easier to travel and you won’t leave complaining that you didn’t wear half the clothes you brought
  • If you pack in advance, you won’t run into the last minute “throw-everything-in-the-suitcase” problem

5. Accept that you won’t see it all

• It’s easy to end up in a Pinterest, travel wormhole…fight it
  • Do your research and have options on/for your itinerary but make wise choices
  • You won’t have time to see everything and that’s okay
  • Make peace with that reality and planning will go much smoother
Hey there! My name is Alexis and I'm a senior at Pace University where I am double majoring in Peace & Justice Studies and Communication Studies with minor in Women and Gender Studies. I am the Campus Corespondent for Her Campus Pace and love watching our organization grow. I just got back from spending Spring semester in Florence, Italy and traveling throughout Europe for a month this summer. When I'm not running around between school and my internship, I can be found exploring the city with my friends, checking out some art at MoMA, binge watching Gilmore Girls, Friends or whatever new show has caught my attention or planning my next trip. I believe writing is one of the best tools we have for personal expression and activism!