Coming Soon: Mean Girls The Musical

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Get ready losers, Mean Girls is coming to Broadway. That’s right the movie that we can all quote line-by-line is making its Broadway debut.

There have been whispers in the wind for the past few years that this could be happening and that Mean Girls would follow in the footsteps of Legally Blonde and Bring it On.  This year Tina Fey confirmed that she was writing the book for the musical and that it would, in fact, be coming to the great white way.

Fey ‘s husband Jeff Richmond will be writing the music and Nell Benjamin will write lyrics.  Casey Nicholaw who directed The Book of Mormon and Aladdin will direct the show.  Mean Girls will be following Legally Blonde’s leading and have the show follow the same storyline as the movie.

The cast was announced this September.  Erika Henningsen, best known for her performance in Les Miserables and Taylor Louderman, currently in Kinky Boots, will lead the cast as Cady Heron and Regina George, respectively. Ashley Park (The King and I) and Kate Rockwell (Bring It On) will round out the “Plastics” as Gretchen Wieners and Karen Smith.

The show is sure to be a hit and I can’t wait to see how Queen Tina Fey handles her first Broadway endeavor.

You can catch Mean Girls at the August Wilson Theater in March 2018. 

Hey there! My name is Alexis and I'm a senior at Pace University where I am double majoring in Peace & Justice Studies and Communication Studies with minor in Women and Gender Studies. I am the Campus Corespondent for Her Campus Pace and love watching our organization grow. I just got back from spending Spring semester in Florence, Italy and traveling throughout Europe for a month this summer. When I'm not running around between school and my internship, I can be found exploring the city with my friends, checking out some art at MoMA, binge watching Gilmore Girls, Friends or whatever new show has caught my attention or planning my next trip. I believe writing is one of the best tools we have for personal expression and activism!