Mysteries and Conspiracies of Oxford

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

Dooley

One of the greatest mysteries at Emory University is Dooley! If you’ve ever attempted to explain Dooley to someone outside of Emory, they probably think that you’re a member of a massive academically-oriented cult but the mystery of Emory’s unofficial mascot remains as intriguing as ever. There are plenty of theories about who Dooley is and was -especially regarding some of our Deans- but nobody really knows as Dooley’s true identity remains extremely well-protected.

Main Is Trying to Mainstream Oxford

Emory University has many quirks, but some of them might not be around much longer on our campus. Traditionally, Oxford students have a graduation ceremony after completing their Associate’s Degree at the close of their Sophomore year, but there have been whispers of the imminent end of this long-standing tradition. It seems that current students may be among the last ones to receive an Oxford degree!

Spec

Ever wonder how Dooley always knows the juiciest gossip about the student body? Rumor has it that a squad of students at Oxford are members of a secret club dedicated to reporting back to Dooley on what students have been up to behind closed doors. Believe it or not, there was a school-wide email sent out years ago listing the names of all the members of Spec!

“Green” Campus

If you look around campus, you see tall trees, foliage, flowers, and great expanses of bright green grass. While Oxford prides itself on its aesthetics and its eco-friendly buildings, many students and faculty members have claimed that the grass is spray-painted green before tour groups show up!

KO

Once upon a time, the rivalry between Georgia Tech and Emory reached an impasse when a group of unruly Tech students kidnapped Lord Dooley! Legend has it that several of Oxford’s finest ventured out and rescued Dooley and as a reward, Dooley knighted them and named them The Knights of Oxford. The honors end there however as the social club was eventually banned from campus. Legend has it that KO alumni continue their legacy in secret.

Oxford is Destined to be the Emory Honors College

Everyone knows that Oxford has an entirely different feel from Main. At Oxford the classes are smaller (and more difficult), the professors actually know you (and your whole life story), it takes no more than five minutes to walk across campus, and our Oxperience is only two years long. It seems that the list of differences may adapt and grow as there have been rumors circulating that Oxford is going to evolve into Emory’s four-year Undergraduate Honors College.

Ghost Stories Galore

As many students know, Oxford’s campus can sometimes feel a little spooky. With Seney’s eery outdoor lighting, the crumbling Confederate Graveyard in the Nature Trails, the ever-present nighttime mist that descends on the quad, and the sense of near total isolation create the perfect setting for a thriller movie. Students love telling scary stories based on the graveyard, the Haygood fire of 1981, and of course the ghost of a Civil War nurse in Phi Gamma who will supposedly lay a blanket on any students who fall asleep inside the old building!