The I Ain’t No “Pata Sucia” Aftermath

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

Saturday nights are for the girls. This specific Saturday night was special because I am back home in Miami for fall break going out with one of my favorite gals. I had the worst week leading up to fall break, the only thing that got me through the week was knowing that I was going out once I got back to town.

It’s Saturday evening, after rummaging through my closet trying to figure out what outfit to wear, I stumbled upon this off the shoulder striped white and black dress. The outfit was settled I knew what makeup look I wanted to go along with it and everything. The only part missing was the shoes. This is where things get interesting. My mom had bought these gorgeous brown six-inch platform heels that I have never worn before. However, I knew they were the perfect shoe for the completion of my outfit.

So, I put the whole outfit together and I’m feeling myself getting all excited to stunt down the streets of Wynwood when I fully conceptualize that this is the first time I am wearing these shoes. But it’s already 11:30pm and my friend is outside so I decided that I am here for a good time and not a long time.

Boy was I right about being here for a good time and not a long time. My feet after walking a couple blocks from bar to bar and dancing my little booty off cannot handle these shoes anymore. My friend tells me “girl just take them off, walk barefoot back to the car.” I thought about it for a hot second, it would’ve been so easy to just pop those suckers off and put my feet out of their misery.

But if you know anything about being Hispanic and wearing heels out in the streets of Miami, you know that if the shoes come off, you automatically get labeled a pata sucia “dirty feet”. I have never been labeled a pata sucia, I was not going to be labeled one now, specially not while wearing this bomb ass outfit. So, I stuck it out till I made it home.

I am currently writing this article with ten blisters in each toe, pumped with Advil with my nonpata sucia head held high.