Three Reasons Why You Need A Car On Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

As a college student, one of the most useful resources you could ever have is a car.  It’s not impossible to get around without one, but it can be quite difficult, especially if you go to school in an area where public transportation use isn’t very popular. Here are three reasons as to why you need a car.

1. Time Is In Your Hands

College students are always juggling their time with classes, work, and their social lives, so really, time can be limiting. The last thing you need is to accommodate your school schedule to the bus or train schedule, just to get where you need to be, whether you’re intending on making a short or long trip. Sometimes, you might need just one small thing from the store, or you need to get somewhere that’s not too far off from where you are, but you don’t want to walk and the bus times may not run as often as you would like. Having a car would save you from this, especially during the winter time when it’s freezing cold outside. All you’d have to do is jump into your car and make your way to wherever you need to go in a much shorter time period. And in instances where you’re trying to go home for break, you can cut a few hours of traveling through your car rather than through a coach bus or train; faster travels would make the experiences less frustrating.

2. No Need to Transfer Trains, Buses, etc.

Trust me when I say I know the struggle of living far from where I attend college. So for those of you who live hours away from your university without a car, you’re probably aware of the need to rely on not just one, but sometimes multiple different transportations just to get to your final destination. It’s pretty agitating having to sit for a long time in one transportation center, wait a while at the other transportation center, and then transfer to another one, only to sit for hours until you finally get home. In my case, I actually have to take two buses and one or two trains, depending on the day: and trust me, it is tiring. With a car, you won’t have to deal with all of this; yes, you’ll have to drive yourself, which can also be tiring, but if you bring a friend along, the two of you can share the driving responsibilities and get to your destination without the hassles of taking public transportation.  3. The Freedom of Your Own Space

When you have your own car, you don’t have to worry about competing with other riders to get on the bus first in order to get a seat. You also don’t have to worry about keeping the volume of your music or voice to a minimum because you’re surrounded by other people. With the comforts of your own space, you won’t be surrounded by a bunch of strangers and you can adjust the volume to whatever best suits you. Not only this, but you can take a rest stop whenever you want, wherever you want, and for however long you want, whereas if you take public transportations, you’d have to go along with whatever the driver decides.

Taking different public transportation systems, whether it’s for a short trip to town or a long trip home, is better than having no form of transportation at all. However, getting a car during your years of college is your best bet if you want to make your travels faster, easier, and less restricted. Not every person is easily able to acquire a car, but it’s not impossible to get one in order to make your college experience a little less difficult.  

Katie Short

Oswego '18

Katie is a recent graduate of SUNY Oswego, where she double-majored in Creative Writing and Political Science and a minor in Journalism. She was the Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Oswego as well as a Chapter Advisor. Katie hopes to get a job in writing, editing or social media.