neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to De-stress During the Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Thinking about classes, all those essays due tomorrow, that one dog you didn’t get to pet while you were running late to class. All of these things and more can easily stress out a bright-eyed and optimistic college student. We can’t simply skip class to enjoy that cucumber mask and foot rub to de-stress during the week; so we just hold in all the stress. The problem with this is usually when we hold in all that stress, we explode and the sanity we tried so hard to maintain gets ruined.

We must learn to practice self-love and take care of our mental health! So here’s 4 tips to keep you relaxed during the week:

1. Let loose to your favorite song

That’s right, bust out that 2007 playlist and jam to all your favorite “High-School Musical” songs, or bust out with a karaoke sesh. You don’t have to stop everything for an hour just to enjoy music! Listen to your favorite songs while studying, taking a shower, on your way to class , or while preparing to go to sleep. According to Psychcentral “listening to music can have a tremendously relaxing effect on our minds and bodies,” so don’t be afraid to listen to music while still being productive!

2. Surround yourself with your favorite scent

Studies show that when you sniff a scent you like, you breathe in deeply which allows your blood pressure to lower and your heart rate to slow down. If you have a favorite scent, buy candles, perfume, or even soap in that scent to keep yourself refreshed and relaxed. Don’t have a favorite scent yet? Maybe try out vanilla, known to boost feelings of joy and relaxation, or lavender known to lower anxiety levels.

3. Stop Procrastinating

I know this may sound like such an obvious thing to do, but just do it! It’s something even I’m guilty of doing. I spend my week stressing instead of actually getting things done. Don’t be me, get your work done early so that when that Friday deadline comes along, you won’t be stuck rushing through 4 papers, 2 quizzes, and a test. Putting things off can increase stress levels because, little by little, they will pile up and then you’ll have a mountain of things to do and no time to do it! So get off the weird side of YouTube , close that “What Harry Potter house am I in?” quiz tab and get your schoolwork done early!

4. Get some nature in

If you go to school here at Suny Oswego, you know we live next to a gorgeous lake and are surrounded by nature. Stop and enjoy nature when you can; Watch the sunset or sunrise, study by the lake, maybe even read a book on the rocks or under the shady trees. During the snowy days (which are approaching, so brace yourselves), decorate your dorm with some stress-free house plants or succulents!

My names Vanessa and I am a Suny Oswego freshman! I'm majoring in Biology with minors in international business and political science. Hopeful future doctor and world traveler! I love writing about diversity, important topics, adventures, interesting people and comedy. I also run the @HerCampusOswego Instagram page and enjoy being an overachiever!
I'm known as kind of being a hippy who loves to meditate, do yoga, and listen to music. I'm always up for an adventure and am interested in living creatively, working for a bigger purpose, and continuing my adventures around the world!