3 Up-and-Coming Artists You Need to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

The beginning of the semester is always rough, especially coming back from the bliss that is summer break. Re-training your brain to survive classes again, studying and taking notes, as well as balancing extra curricular activities and your social life, it’s really easy to get stressed out, and fast. Luckily, one of the things that has always helped me take a break from my hectic schedule here at Oswego is music. 

I love music; it is one thing that I cannot live without. On my Spotify account, I’m constantly searching for new music and artists that I can jam to on the way to class, at the gym, or while I’m pounding out an essay hours before it’s due. (Let’s be real, we’ve all been there.) At the beginning of the year, I was really struggling trying to find new artists to listen to, and fortunately, over the summer I found a lot of amazing, yet less known artists who completely blew my mind with their amazing lyrics and beautiful melodies.

So, I selected my top three up-and-coming artists that you should check out ASAP, and listed my favorite songs and lyrics by each of them. Hopefully, you’ll find them just as incredible as I do, and you’ll have a new favorite song to jam to while you’re typing out that essay 3 a.m.

Wallows

Wallows is a Los Angeles-based band made up of three members: Cole Preston, Braeden Lemasters, and Dylan Minnette. (Yep, you got it, Clay Jensen from 13 Reasons Why is in a band I.R.L). Wallows released their first single, “Pleaser” in April of this year and it blew up on Spotify, getting over 3 million streams. After a series of small venue performances in L.A. and N.Y.C, Wallows released their songs, “Sun Tan” and “Uncomfortable” respectively, and they both gained just as much popularity as the first. What I love most about Wallows is their lyrics; I don’t think I’ve ever related to lyrics as much as I have in all three of their songs. The members discuss themes of love, being an outcast, and life’s sometimes uncomfortable situations. And their lyrics are so matter-of-fact and clearly stated, you will constantly have that, “Damn, that’s exactly how I feel!” type of moment. The trio reminds me a lot of Arctic Monkeys on their AM album; Preston’s voice really mimics that of Alex Turner throughout all three songs, but particularly in their latest release, “Uncomfortable.” If you’re looking for a new guy band to obsess over, look no further than Wallows. These boys are going places.

Popular Songs: “Uncomfortable,” “Pleaser,” “Sun Tan”

My Pick: “Uncomfortable”

Favorite Lyric: “But now it’s fading fast, thought it was gonna last/I’m not uncomfortable, but I feel so uncomfortable” – “Uncomfortable”

RVRB

RVRB is an up-and-coming duo, with Cameron Mitchell as the frontman, who provides vocals on all of their tracks. For those of you who are hardcore Glee fans (a.k.a Gleeks), you’ll know Cameron from competing on the first season of The Glee Project on Oxygen, which was a musical competition show where the winner would receive a recurring role on the hit Fox show. Cameron had released an album prior to being on the show, and now, after his post TGP days, he’s ½ of RVRB. RVRB released their first single, “Lost In The Wild” and then their EP, “Faded” which includes top songs, “2faded” and “Bury / / This.” Their musical aesthetic is based on synth beats, with hints of electro-pop mixed in as well. They explore themes of love, loss and navigating life as you grow older. RVRB is definitely a group that you listen to when you want to be hit with the #feels; I think everyone can relate to at least one of their lyrics on a very personal level, which is what makes them so great. They’re so relatable and the melodies are so dark and wistful, you can’t help but miss the love of your life that you haven’t even met yet.

Popular Songs: “2faded,” “NEED YOU STILL,” “Bury / / This”

My Pick: “THINK IT OVER”

Favorite Lyric: “You know I can’t resist/To think what could have been” – “THINK IT OVER”

EMI

EMI is a singer/songwriter from Seattle, WA, whose moody, synth heavy R&B tracks made her popular in 2016. I discovered EMI and her mixtape Planet (2017) from my housemates, who had seen her in concert at The Bowery Ballroom as the opening act. As soon as I listened to her most popular song on Spotify, “Sip It Slow,” I was hooked. It’s totally a song I knew I could listen to at all hours of the day; When I’m getting dressed in the morning, at the gym, or even when I’m getting ready to go out with friends. What I love most about EMI and her musical aesthetic is that every song is synth heavy, and while they can explore darker themes and feelings, many of them are so upbeat and awesome to dance to. Also, I think what intrigues me most about EMI is that I have not encountered an artist really similar to her, or an artist she seems to evoke. EMI is entirely her own – in sound, aesthetic, and person – and I can’t wait to see the big things she’s going to accomplish.

Popular Songs: “Sip It Slow,” “Fools,” “Like Us”

My Pick: “Fools”

Favorite Lyric: “Ice in my mouth got my words so cold/Boy you think you rare but you straight out the mold” – “Fools”

Katie Short

Oswego '18

Katie is a recent graduate of SUNY Oswego, where she double-majored in Creative Writing and Political Science and a minor in Journalism. She was the Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Oswego as well as a Chapter Advisor. Katie hopes to get a job in writing, editing or social media. 
I'm known as kind of being a hippy who loves to meditate, do yoga, and listen to music. I'm always up for an adventure and am interested in living creatively, working for a bigger purpose, and continuing my adventures around the world!