4 Ways to Get Psyched for Autumn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

The official first day of fall has come and gone, but weather in Corvallis is known to stay fairly warm through much of October! While we OSU collegiettes are itching to pull out our comfiest sweaters, let’s think of a few great ways to celebrate the changing of the seasons.

1. Create some fall-inspired nail art.

Nail art is a fun way to pass a spare hour and help your look stay seasonal! You can simply paint your nails a charming array of fall jewel tones to create a sleek, elegant look. Or, if you’re more adventurous, you can try your hand with a dotting tool and striper brushes to create patterns of leaves and pumpkins on your nails!

If you’re looking for nail art inspiration, try checking out Cutepolish’s YouTube channel. She posts new nail care and art tips all the time, and her designs are always on point! We’re really digging her tasty-looking Apple Nail Art design right now.

2. Host a clothing swap.

As you dig all your cold-weather clothes out of storage, you might notice that your style has evolved over the last year. Don’t worry – this has probably happened to all your girl friends, too!

If you want to refresh your fall wardrobe without spending big bucks, why not start with the gals whose fashion sense you trust most? Invite all of your friends to dig through their closets and bring over a bag or two of unwanted clothing. You might find that your bestie looks fabulous in your old cardigan, and you’re absolutely in love with her felt hat.

When you’re done, consider taking the remainder of your clothing to Second Glance or Revolve in downtown Corvallis. They take gently used fashion on consignment, so in a few weeks you might have a bit of store credit for your next shopping trip!

3. Pick up a new hobby.

There’s no time like the cooling season to learn how to knit or crochet. You can watch a few tutorials on YouTube and before long you’ll be knee deep in beautiful, cozy scarves and hats to share with friends on rainy autumn days.

Pinterest, of course, is a fantastic source for new design inspiration. So once you’ve mastered the basics, move on to making an adorable fox hat for your nephew or a stunning cowl for your sister.

4. Start sipping.

Mmmmm. One of the best parts of autumn is surely the seasonal flavors! But if you don’t want to go all the way downtown for a PSL between classes, you can consider some other options:

• An easy mug of spiced apple cider is perfect when you’re short on time. Sure, you can mix some cider powder into some hot water and call it good. Or, you can make cider that makes your whole house smell good! Pour a jug of apple cider into a crock pot and add some cinnamon sticks and a touch of vanilla to taste. Ladle a fresh mugful between chapters of textbook reading to keep you motivated.
  • Seasonally flavored tea is another great way to indulge your senses. Oregon Coffee & Tea downtown serves up some killer loose blends. Try an ounce or two of cranberry fruit melange when you’re craving the flavor at night but don’t want to get buzzed.
  • While you’re there, check out a few Torani syrups to flavor your morning latte. Pumpkin Spice is a crowd favorite, featuring notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves.

Don’t worry, orange leaves and chunky scarves will be here soon! Until then, have fun celebrating the changing of the seasons while the nice weather lasts.

I'm an Oregon State Beaver studying Digital Communication Arts!