5 Documentaries You Must Watch This Earth Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Old Westbury chapter.

The globe is our home and we must protect it because our lives depend on it. Unfortunalty, many people don’t respect our envionement and cause pollution, which is affecting us directly. Unfortunatly, many are unaware of how exposed they are to pollution. Drinking water in plastic bottles, paying cheaper for gas and eating most food in America come with a cost. It takes lives. Thankfully, there are people out there willing to gather accurate information and credible sources to expose the wrong corporations are causing us. Here are a few documentaries you must watch to understand the gravity of what we and Mother Nature are exposed to:

Gasland 1 & 2

As seen in the image above, this man was lighitng his water on fire. Now that’s not normal! When Josh Fox  a man living in Pennsylvania’s Delaware River Basin received a $100,000 offer from a natural gas company to buy his land, he decided to do research on fracking. Fracking is drilling the ground, creating an earthquake to access oil. The process of fracking contaminates the natural water sources which is why this man is able to light his water on fire. Trust me, it’s eye opening.

Tapped

How does it feel to know that the water you have been buying in plastic bottles is tapped water? Oh wait! Your tapped water is actually a lot better then plastic bottled water, it’s not contaminated with chemicals. Chemicals that come from the plastic bottles, a bottle that when being fabricated, pollutes the air so much, that people get really sick and some die. Did you know that there was a drought in 37 states because of bottled water? Yeah… pretty crazy. You need to watch this!

Food Inc

This one is a mess! Mammoth corporations have taken over all aspects of the food chain in the United States, and it’s digusting. This documentary could make you stop eating meat because of how the animals are treated. It’s a masacre! To think what our food is contaminated with so much junk, it’s sickening. 

How To Change the World

I cried in this one. It is “the story of the pioneers who founded Greenpeace and defined the modern green movement.”  What affected me the most watching this was to see how wales were being murdered. It was difficut to watch. Also these nuclear tests! Ugh!

SaveSave

Nathalie Ligonde is a senior at SUNY at Old Westbury majoring in Media and Communications. She is a Campus Co-Correspondent at Her Campus at Old Westbury. Ligonde is passionate about travelling, writing and learning new languages. She enjoys binging TV shows and movies on Netflix and loves hanging out with her friends. Her dream is to make a difference in the world by inspiring people to love themselves and others for who they are. You can follow her on Instagram to see all her adventures: @nathzwhatz