7 Foods that are The Holy Grail for Broke College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

We all know the feeling — We just get out of the shower and receive a text from our best friend, “Let’s go out to eat tonight!”

“Sure!” we respond as we check our bank accounts. Oooph. “Actually, I have a ton of homework to catch up on…”

If you’re like me and are maxing on a budget of $12 to spend a week, you’ve got to find some alternatives to save you from starvation. Luckily, “mi grocery list es su grocery list.” You’re welcome.

Photo by Hanny Naibaho on Unsplash

1. Literally any kind of Ramen

Averaging on a cost of 15 cents a package, these goodies are both cheap and easy to make.

1. Mac and Cheese

Kraft does it best, and also quick to make.

1. Granola Bars

A solid grab-on-the-go breakfast snack, for when you wake up a couple 20 minutes after

the alarm.

1. Bagel Bites

What Pizza Hut? No need for Dominos!

1. Bread with Peanut Butter/Jam

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are a classic combo and can serve meals for

weeks. But don’t stop there, grab some ham/turkey and some cheese while you’re at it!

1. Instant Oatmeal

It’s all in the name, and all you need is water/milk! Yes, please.

1. Fruit

Both healthy and easily accessible, fruits are a perfect supplement to any meal. 

Michelle Nguyen is a first-year Journalism student at The University of Oklahoma. She currently writes for the OU Daily as an A&E Reporter, and aspires to work for a fashion magazine in the future. When she's not writing, you can usually find her snacking and watching Vines. You can follow her on Twitter/Instagram @mtiffanyn
Emily Parker

Oklahoma '19

Hi my name is Emily Parker and I am a senior at the Univeristy of Oklahoma! I am from Tucson, Arizona and I am majoring in Business Marketing and minoring in Art. After graduation I would like to travel abroad and pursue a career in fashion marketing!