Life > Experiences

Galentine’s Day in Athens, Ohio 2020

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Whether you and your friends want to stay in or go out this Galentine’s day, there are a ton of great options right here on campus!

The Athena Cinema

Go check out one of the newest showings at The Athena Cinema. It has a nice old retro feel to it, and it is not your average cinema experience. From independent films, classic films, documentaries and Oscar nominees they have a little bit of everything. I will have to warn you, with this many great options to choose from you and your friends might have a hard time deciding on just one.

Brunch at Fluff Bakery or The Union Street Diner

What’s better than some delicious breakfast food shared with your friends? Nothing! Gather your friends for a special brunch at one of the many local restaurants in Athens. May I suggest The Union Street Diner? They have the most delicious stuffed French toast you will ever taste. Or maybe go to Fluff. They not only have great breakfast food, but they also have great coffee and tea.

Latitude 39

Looking for a cheaper option. I have the perfect place! If you are on the flex meal plan through Ohio University, grab your gang and head over to Latitude 39 for dinner. I recommend the Beer-Battered pickle fries! 

Bowling/Ice Skating

If you are feeling energetic, you could go ice skating at Bird Arena during open skating hours. You could also have a bowling night at the Rollerbowl Lanes on Palmer St.

Grab Coffee

You and your gals deserve to treat yourselves to some coffee. Some of the local coffee shops even have Valentine’s Day-themed special drinks, such as the French Kiss Coffee at Donkey Coffee uptown.

Go Shopping

Make an afternoon of wandering around and exploring some of the local boutiques uptown. Also, hit up the stores after Valentine’s Day with your friends for all the discounted candy.

Movie Night In

Not feeling a night out? A night in can be just as good as a night out. Gather around the TV for a movie. Load up on snacks to last you the entire night. Watch some classic rom coms on Netflix or Hulu. Maybe even do some facemasks and paint your nails.

Paint and Sip

Looking to switch up the night in? Why not try a paint and sip night? Ehem… while watching Bob Ross.

Lauren Bals

Ohio U '22

Lauren Bals is a sophomore at Ohio University. She is majoring in Integrated Media at Scripps College of Communication with a focus in animation. She is involved in many different areas of media on campus. She participates in the Bobcathon to raise money for the Ronald McDonald House. She enjoys watching movies, discovering new and old music, skiing and traveling to new places in her free time.