Style

6 Cute Halloween Costumes On A College Student’s Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Let’s be real, when Halloween comes around we’ve got two concerns. Looking cute for our perfectly planned out Instagram post… and not spending our entire life’s savings on a costume! Well lucky for you, the search is over! I’ve come up with six costumes that are cheap, cute and even can be found here in Athens!

1. A Dalmatian

What you’ll need:

• A white hoodie

• A black sharpie

• Any black boots

This costume may be the simplest of them all! It’s so cute and actually keeps you warm! For the costume I bought a white hoodie from the men’s section at Walmart and just drew some black polka dots over it, paired with some black over the knee boots- and bam! Dalmatian! This costume cost me under $10- seeing I already have the boots! However, I was able to also find some black boots at Walmart if you don’t have any! This costume also is a perfect couples costume- find yourself a fireman!

2. An Alien

What you’ll need:

• Any shiny/silver bottoms

• A top of your choice

• Alien antennas

• Glitter (optional)

My alien costume goes down in time as one of my favorite costumes! Although this one cost the most and required a bit more run around, it was the least crafty costume! I found this silver skirt at Forever21, which they do still have in store! The antennas were from Charlotte Russe and the top was one I already had! However, all of these items can be found on Amazon Prime! I just put my hair in some space buns and put glitter on my face! This costume cost me a total of about $20!

3. A Piñata

What you’ll need:

• A tight dress (or a pencil skirt and a tank top) of your choice

• Streamers

• Party Hat

I have yet to try this one out, but it certainly is making the list for next year! You’ll be able to use anything in your closet! Then get a bit crafty, and tape streamers to it in an ongoing vertical pattern! A little party hat in your hair and you’re set! This costume may take the most time to make, but it costs $10 and looks so fun!

4. A prisoner

What you’ll need:

• Striped top

• Black bottoms

• Black boots

• Handcuffs

If there’s anything we’re trying to avoid being this weekend, it’s a prisoner! But this costume is just too cute and my favorite for the weekend! This costume was also the cheapest! I already had a striped top, black skirt and black boots, so all I had to buy was some costume handcuffs at Walmart for $4! This costume is so cute and it’s totally awesome that your hair and makeup get to be however you want!

5. Lion

What you’ll need:

• Tan dress or shirt

• Lion ears and tail

This is my second costume for the weekend and it’s just so cute and simple! I dug out an old, tight tan dress I had and bought a set of lion ears and tail at Walmart for $8! I’ll draw some whiskers on my face and call it a look! This costume is so simple yet so cute- and costs close to nothing!

6. Gold

What you’ll need

• Gold Bottoms

• Any top

• Sharpie

Any girls out there that just live for punny costumes? Well, this one’s for you! I had a friend do this a couple years ago and it’s just so cute! Amazon Prime a gold skirt or leggings and just write the periodic abbreviation for Gold on your shirt!

A second-year student, Camille Chernitsky is majoring in Early Childhood Education at the Patton College of Education. During her time at Ohio U, she is a member of Alpha Gamma Delta, Her Campus, SECO, SCEC and Hall Council! In her free time she loves to write and browse Pinterest! Instagram: @camille_m22 Twitter: @CamiChernitsky