The Best Backpacks for Fall

A new school year means it's time to switch out our summer beach totes for our ol’ reliable backpacks. But sometimes old and reliable just doesn't cut it anymore… and it's time for a change. No matter what you’re looking for, we’ve got you covered - from lightweight totes to heavy-duty laptop bags, here is a list of our lovely fall picks!

For the athleisure enthusiast: adidas Originals Classic Backpack ($35) or FILA Peacoat Mini Backpack ($25)

If you like rocking the athleisure look, add the Adidas Classic Backpack or the FILA Peacoat to your outfit and stay on brand! The white outline of the Adidas bag adds a lovely contrast to the black body and is super easy to pair with any outfit. If you’re looking for a smaller bag, the FILA backpack is a fun option with a subtle pop of a color.

For the chic animal lover: MATT & NAT FABI Backpack in Rio ($175) or Mellie Faux Leather Mini Backpack ($44)

With MATT & NAT, the professional and luxe look of leather doesn’t mean animal cruelty. If you're looking for a roomy bag, their FABI Backpack in Rio features a 13” laptop compartment, a phone pocket, and a small zipper pocket on the back. Plus, that beautiful plummy red is basically autumn in a color! The vegan brand also boasts ethical and sustainable practices - just another bonus to their many noteworthy qualities. Mellie’s faux leather backpacks are a great, more affordable option for the chic look.

For the simple stylist: Herschel Supply Co. Classic Backpack in Raven Crosshatch ($44.99)

Herschel backpacks have been one of the most popular backpack brands for years now, and for good reason. With agreeable price points and sturdy designs, they’re perfect for students who need to haul around notebooks and laptops all day, while still looking to save some cash. I personally wear the Classic Backpack in Raven Crosshatch to my classes, since the huge interior allows me to fit my 13” laptop, a few notebooks, two folders, my makeup bag, a water bottle, some snacks, and more (with extra room left!). Plus, this sophisticated and neutral goes with any outfit… and any season!

For the light packer: The Strand Bookstore’s Stay Curious Tote Bag ($19.95)

We know backpacks aren't for everyone… If you prefer packing light for school, totes might just be your new best friend. With their easy, light design and comfortable fit, these bags can hold your essentials while also adding a simple and cute flare to any outfit. This tote from the Strand features a handy zipper and a particularly autumnal illustration with the words “STAY CURIOUS." Not a bad motto to live by!

We hope this roundup inspires you to rock a new backpack or bag this semester to show off your unique style.