Op-Ed: Why This Advert Is Not Just Awkward, But Wrong

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Disclaimer: potentially offensive images. 

Mindlessly trawling through Cosmo’s website in a burst of essay procrastination, I stumbled across an article titled ‘How to make a healthy lunch: As explained by this naked guy’. Naturally, I clicked on it. Because sex sells and I was killing time.

I was greeted by this charming looking chap – complete with strategically placed Best of Both and awkward thumbs-up.

The article basically directed us to the advert you can see below; but trust me, if you’re prone to cringe at suggestive puns, uncomfortable eyebrow-raising and creepy porno music, don’t bother hitting play.

I forced myself through all 1:12 of this video and was left feeling some sympathy with Alex from A Clockwork Orange after he’s forced to watch endless streams of disturbing videos. I was also able to get a whole new appreciation for the bad taste that can be left in your mouth from objectifying a human being.

That advert plays out like a hard-hitting parody of how women are objectified by the media, but the reality is that it’s 100% seriously objectifying the bloke. And that is no less wrong. It also made me realise how immune we’ve become to the objectification of women – despite not liking it, I’ve never felt quite as uncomfortable seeing women objectified as I did seeing this painfully awkward, toned man come dangerously close to slipping a ball on screen.

TL;DR: Yes, men definitely are objectified too, and if women want the media to give them a bit more respect, magazines like Cosmo need to afford the same right to everyone, regardless of which naughty bits they’ve got hiding behind their lunch. Also, I learnt absolutely nothing about how to make a healthy nutritious sandwich. 

Sources

http://www.cosmopolitan.co.uk/diet-fitness/diets/naked-man-healthy-lunch…

Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!