Jack Mousley – Sports Officer Candidate 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

This week we met Jack Mousley, candidate for 2014 Sports Officer. The third year Geography student from North London spoke to us about why he thinks he’ll make a great Sports Officer, and revealed the person who inspired his love of sports. We also put him to the test with a bit of trivia (which we gave him a solid 2.1 for at least!)…

Tell us what’s involved in being Sports Officer

Broadly speaking, it’s about getting involved with all the sports clubs and societies and ensuring that the policies on my manifesto are put in place.  Being Sports Officer means you have the opportunity to make the changes that students want to see. It’s everything from organising and coordinating the Varsity Events to talking to sports people at the University to find out what they want or need.

Talk us through the changes that you want to make then!

One of the key things I’m passionate about is that everyone should have an opportunity to participate in sport at any level, whether it’s competitively or casually. A lot of people want to play sport but cannot commit to regular training sessions or the costs that are often involved with club sports. There’s a lot of debate about whether we should focus on being one of the Top 10 University’s in competitive sport or whether it should be about increasing participation – but I think we can do both! We need to make sport cheaper and more accessible at every level.

Another concern is that trials often take place during Week One, which means attendance can be low as Freshers are more worried about making friends than getting up for a sports session! This means they can feel that there’s a lot of catching up to do later. I want to move trials and taster sessions post-Week One to hopefully increase participation.

We have a large and successful IMS at Nottingham – that’s sports teams associated with halls and societies. However, there isn’t much communication between IMS teams and clubs, so I want to increase communication so it’s easier for students to move between the two.

I also think we need to improve our advertising of sports, including a stronger media presence at sporting events and more thorough results reporting. Expansion of the Varsity Series will have a big part to play in this.

All of the changes are tied in to better communication between sports teams and the SU – we need a better feedback system for team members to contribute to, and more explanation from the SU of why certain changes are being made.

So what makes you right for the job?

Obviously I have a huge passion for sport – I’ve loved it since a young age, in the playground at school as well as competitively. Rugby League is my thing but this doesn’t affect my interest in other sports. I will still go home and watch football, tennis or anything on the TV, so I have a broad understanding of sports.

At the moment I’m on the committee for Rugby League and I’ve really enjoyed taking on a leadership role. We’ve made some real improvements since I’ve been on the committee so I feel I can successfully implement changes for the better.

You’re clearly very passionate about this! Would you say there’s one person or thing that has inspired your love of sport?

Although there are various sports icons I admire, I’d have to say my Dad who first got me interested in sport. I remember as a kid we’d sit down together on weekend mornings and read the sports section of the paper, analysing and talking about the results.

As a potential Sports Officer, we feel there are certain things you should know. So here’s a bit of Sports Trivia. Firstly, can you explain the offside rule in football to us?

When you’re attacking the goal, you are offside if you are in front of their defenders and the ball is passed to you. But you’re OK if you move past their defenders with the ball. I think they tried to explain it on a 50p once – not really sure how!

Secondly, have you heard of Korfball?

I have heard of it – I’m not sure of the exact rules but I think it’s like a combination of different sports, similar to handball. Am I close?

Nearly – I think it’s sort of a cross between basketball and netball.  And lastly, what is the difference between Rugby League and Rugby Union?

(Jack here shares a knowing laugh with his friend – HC is wondering if that was a stupid question?!) There’s quite a few! League has 13 players while Union has 15. In League you’re only allowed six consecutive tackles with the ball whereas Union has no restrictions on ball time. There are various other differences – the number of points a try, conversion or penalty kick is worth, number of people in a scrum. There’s not really much competition or rivalry between the two, both League and Union know their place!

QUICKFIRE ROUND:

Ocean – yay or nay? Yay (answered without hesitation).

Dream job? Professional rugby player.

Favourite season? Summer

Personal miracle hangover cure? McDonalds

Are you a spender or a saver? I can do both!

If you were an animal, what would you be and why? Probably a Rhino because it was my favourite animal when I was a kid – I think because I thought they were cool, strong and fast.

Snog, marry, avoid – Miley Cyrus, Tulisa, Katie Price? Definitely avoid Miley Cyrus, she’s irritating! Snog Tulisa and marry Katie Price.

Got a fun fact about yourself, personal claim to fame or special talent? I’ve had a rib taken out on the right side due to a sports injury (not the Marilyn Manson reason that a lot of people think!)

Pretty impressive that you’re so committed to the job that you’ve actually lost a body part (sort of)! Is there anything else you’d like to put out there before voting begins?

I’m really looking forward to the elections, and if anyone has any questions or comments then please get in touch, either if you see me around campus or through Facebook. And good luck to the other candidates!

See Jack’s campaign page and manifesto, and don’t forget to vote from the 6th March!

Edited by Harriet Dunlea

Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!