Getting the IUD: The Brutally Honest Truth

As a university student, when it came to contraception, condoms were pretty much my go-to. Then, whilst reading a medical article, I found out about the coil. I read the pros and cons, decided that it was for me and took the plunge. One reason I want to write about my experience is so that anyone who reads this won't have to resort to reading horror stories about getting the coil on Mumsnet (like I did) and instead find some comfort in this article.

The IUD is a tiny t-shaped piece of plastic laced with copper that is inserted inside the womb. It lasts for five years and starts to work instantly by releasing a small amount of copper into the womb which makes it hell for sperm cells to survive. I remember reading information about it and thinking "Wow this is absolutely amazing. Why isn't everyone getting it?"

Firstly, because no matter how tough you think you are, you'll want to do nothing but stay in bed with a hot water bottle after it gets inserted because it's painful (though the video I saw the night before described it as a "mild" discomfort hahahaha).

At the clinic, after doing a pregnancy and a STD test, I was told to undress from my tummy down and lie on the bed with my legs propped up and spread apart. A trainee doctor located the position of my cervix and then we were onto the main bit; the insertion. The doctor mentioned she would use some numbing gel and her supervisor began stroking my hand.

Then the pain came out of nowhere and, looking back, the best way I can describe it is someone punching your stomach whilst you’re having your worst period pains and then that pain moves upwards. I screamed out and kicked, "Was that it? Is it over?". The supervisor who was holding my hand replied gently in her German accent, "No dear she was just measuring your cervix. Soon you'll be done." Immediately, the stomach cramps started with another wave of pain and I started to cry so hard I didn't actually realise the coil was inserted until the trainee doctor told me that I was done. I shakily put on my clothes, took the leaflet the doctor gave me, apologised to her for almost giving her a near-death experience with my foot and left. As soon as I got home, I crawled into bed with a hot water bottle and slept. A few hours later, the cramps were gone and I was feeling like my old self again.

It's been exactly 8 months since I got the coil and surprisingly, unlike a lot of the users on Mumsnet who also have the coil, I haven't had any complaints about it though I was terrified I would. So I can safely say that all the pain I went through was worth it. 

Edited by Tia Ralhan