A Few Places I’m (Holi)Day-dreaming About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

One of the things I have missed the most during the past year is travelling, and I think a lot of people are with me on that one. After being inundated with misery and gloom on the news and social media, I have found myself itching for an escape. I have been lucky enough to travel frequently throughout my childhood and as I have gotten older my love for travel has only deepened. 

Personally, these getaways manage to keep me motivated and enthusiastic throughout the year – whether that is a short stay at a grandparent’s house or a blissful week in the sun – the excitement leading up to a trip is unrivalled. God knows we all need to switch off and relax (she says just one month into the year) and with any luck, we will be able to squeeze in a trip or two later this year, even if we are restricted to sunny England!  

1.  Catch up on lost time 

This year has stolen so many potential experiences and memories from us. No matter what your situation is, I’m sure you’ll be missing someone. For many people, there will be a grandparent-shaped hole in their life right now, this is definitely the case for me. I think we can all say that the past year has made us appreciate our loved ones even more and once we can, I think we will all cherish some time to switch off and relax with family and friends. Bring on evenings filled with wine, monopoly and bickering (competitive families, eh?).   

2.  A short breather 

A getaway doesn’t have to mean going abroad. Last summer many people opted for a week away in England, and I think this will continue for some time until people feel completely safe travelling again. Personally, I think a night or two in somewhere like London or Brighton can be super exciting; not only do you get an excuse to get dressed up and go for a nice meal and some cocktails, but (weather permitting) you can also take a walk through the beautiful lanes or grab fish and chips on the beach! Whether you opt for a weekend away with your partner, best friend or even by yourself, spending even one night in a B&B somewhere away from your hometown can be an exciting change of scenery, particularly after spending most of the year in your room. 

3.  LADS ON TOUR

After a year of game nights, virtual birthdays and pub nights, I don’t know about you, but I am ready to see my beautiful friends’ faces offline! It is hard enough to get that group chat going and find a time when everyone is free at the best of times, let alone during a global pandemic. In the past, my school friends and I have tried to find a week during summer to go away together. We’ve done Zante (some of us did it better than others!), we’ve done a huge villa holiday in Spain. I’m not sure where our next trip will be, but I know we will be wetting ourselves constantly (from laughter, don’t worry) and perhaps consuming one too many Pina Coladas…

Ellie Sayer

Nottingham '21

20, UoN blogger. Final Year American and Canadian Literature, History and Culture student. A lot of love for travelling, all things food-related and taking care of my mental & physical health!