This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

After what is now a year of being told to stay inside I’m sure I’m not the only one who has spent a little (a lot) more time scrolling through Netflix, Amazon Prime, Sky Go and pretty much anything else I can get my hands on. Personally, I’d choose a good series over a film any day, I really love getting to know the characters a bit more, especially when there is a gripping plot keeping me interested. I think everyone is influenced by what their parents read, listen to, and watch – my love for a good old crime drama definitely came from my dad. We both love a crime novel, but our favourite is definitely a good crime drama series – I find most of my recommendations still come from my dad who is an absolute sucker for a drama series!

So, if you’re looking for a good series to binge over the next few weeks before we slowly get our lives back, you’re in the right place.  

Unforgotten (ITV)

If you don’t know, get to know. Unforgotten is a British crime drama series that first aired in 2015, with the most recent season being aired earlier this month. This is a series that will have you gripped from start to finish as it follows two London detectives as they solve numerous cold cases. I absolutely love how this series is structured: each series deals with a new case, introducing seemingly unconnected characters whilst gradually revealing their relationship with each other and/or the victim.  I really like how the narrative explores the lives of the detectives as well and the impact that their job has on their own lives – it’s one of those series which you really feel like you get to know the characters. Honestly, if you haven’t already seen this, it is an absolute MUST (and probably my favourite out of the three I talk about in this article).

Line of Duty (BBC)

So, this is probably the most well-known series. Line of Duty is a British police procedural series that first aired in 2012. Like Unforgotten, the most recent season of Line of Duty is airing this month (and I cannot wait). Line of Duty follows AC-12 (Anti-Corruption Unit 12) as they uncover perverse corruption within the police force and deep-rooted links to organised crime groups. I won’t lie, this series did take a little longer to grip me. It’s one of those which you have to give your full attention to as there is a lot happening at once, so the storyline can completely change direction at any time. So all of you incessant scrollers, put your phone down and let yourself be engrossed in something else for a while (it’s worth it, I promise).

Grace ‘Dead Simple’ (ITV)

I’ve got to hold my hands up here – I am yet to watch this one myself. But hear me out. So Grace is based on the bestselling crime novels by Peter James which I absolutely loved reading. It follows detective Roy Grace as he (using somewhat unconventional methods) investigates chilling crimes whilst dealing with his own demons after his wife mysteriously disappeared six years earlier. From what I’ve seen, Grace has already been really well received, so I’m very excited to make a start.     

Ellie Sayer

Nottingham '21

20, UoN blogger. Final Year American and Canadian Literature, History and Culture student. A lot of love for travelling, all things food-related and taking care of my mental & physical health!