Christmas Decorations Made Easy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

IT’S CHRISTMAAAAAAAAAAASS. Almost. The end of term brings a whole host of things that need to be organised, with Secret Santa allocations, plans and presents – not to mention deadlines for that degree you’ve been working for. Before you go into panic mode, there’s no need to worry if you’ve been slacking on the decoration front because Her Campus have got you covered. Whether you’re decorating your student room, shared flat or just fancy getting creative around the house, we’ve got some cheap and cheerful DIY ideas for you.

1. PAPER SNOWFLAKES

Possibly the cheapest option there is, but they don’t have to look cheap. The old trick of folding a piece of A4 paper into quarters and cutting out at random still works. You can jazz it up a bit by hanging your creations from coloured ribbon or perhaps weaving some fairy lights through them for display. Primary school activity turned into sophisticated décor – you can’t argue with that! 2. PAPER CHAINS

With a similar vibe to the previous idea, paper chains make it look like you have put in a lot more effort than you really have. All you’ll need is paper, scissors, some tape and some patience. Simply cut paper strips and link them together secured with clear tape. Opt for paper strips in reds, whites and greens for that festive feel, or if you want to go for something a little more bold then cut strips from glittery or metalic card. Christmas time or not, when in doubt: glitter. 3. BAUBLES

These can be purchased in bundle packs and it’s really easy to personalise simple baubles with some sparkly paint. If you’ve not got any craft supplies to hand, choose an old nail varnish and use that for a similar effect (I’d recommend using a glittery shade, of course).

4. BUNTING

A ‘MERRY CHRISTMAS’ banner never goes a miss, just in case you’ve forgotten what time of year it is. ‘LET IT SNOW’ or ‘HAPPY HOLIDAYS’ work too, and these phrases can be easily cut out from coloured card and hung from some string. Cheap as chips and really effective. 5. RECYCLE

With it being party season, odds are that you have some wine bottles hanging around. Instead of chucking them away, wrap some ribbon or a garland around them and put some fairy lights inside for a quirky lighting effect. It’s a good way to get rid of any used bottles as well as a great excuse to crack open that Pinot Grigio, right? Do your bit for the planet! 6. FESTIVE EXTRAS

As a fellow student I can tell you now that the pound shop is your best friend. With most stores upping their game this year, they’ve stocked candy canes, tinsel and stockings all on the cheap. This means that even with a student budget, there’s no excuse not to get into the Christmas spirit this year.

I hope that some of these nifty ideas inspire you to get creative this winter, deck your accommodation out festively and to spread the Christmas cheer. Think about it this way: the less money spent before Christmas means more money to spend in the January sales after Christmas! We got you.

Edited by Sarah Holmes

Image sources:

http://pixel.brit.co

http://www.notonthehighstreet.com

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com

Naomi Upton

Nottingham

Naomi is a third year English student at Nottingham University and Co-Editor in Chief of HC Nottingham. Naomi would love a career in journalism or marketing but for now she spends her time beauty blogging, attempting to master the delicate art of Pinterest, being an all-black-outfit aficionado, wasting time on Buzzfeed, going places, taking pictures and staying groovy.