Vegetarian Dining Hall Hacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Being a vegetarian, or having any dietary restrictions, can be very challenging at times when you’re on a meal plan. Thus, I compiled a list of dining hall recipes that are vegetarian friendly for each day of the week! Because let’s be honest, how many times do you circle the dining hall in a week and just find nothing to eat? For those times, here are a few items more interesting than the oh-so-classic PB&J:

1. The Anytime Open-Face Bagel

Here’s what you do. Take a bagel of your choice – I prefer wheat in this case – and slice it. Then add spinach leaves, bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, and just whatever you’re into. Sprinkle some grated cheese of your choice on top. Proceed to the moving convention oven in between the Panini makers, place creation inside. When it come’s out the other side you will have a delicious meal! Personally, I like to add cream cheese and pepper at the end also. Highly recommended.  

2. Eggs Florentine College Edition

This is perfect for brunch days. Ask for two fried eggs. Toast two slices of bread or an English muffin. Layer spinach and then the eggs on top and BOOM you’re done! You can also add cheese if you’d like before the eggs and toast it in that lovely oven like we did with the bagel.  

3. Slightly Less Basic Quinoa (all collegiettes love quinoa, right?)

Start with Quinoa. Then move to the spinach salad line, add kidney beans, garbanzo beans, and black beans. Next, hop on over to grab some feta. While you’re at the feta island, make sure to grab some lemon slices. Finally, top the mixture with some olive oil (on top of the salad bars). And squeeze some lemon and bon appetite!

4. Spinach Craisin Salad

As my oh-so-creative name implies, the base of this salad is spinach! If you’re wondering why I have an obsession with spinach, it’s because it’s a great source of iron (and a lot of other stuff) for vegetarians. Next, some craisins! I rarely eat a meal without cheese, so some feta is required. Now some red onions and vinaigrette and you’re finished! You can add other things like sunflower seeds, etc., to your liking.

5. Breakfast Burrito

Another brunch item. For this one, start with any wrap or tortilla of your choice. Add scrambled eggs, cheese, veggies of your choice, jalapenos (if you like it hot), and refried beans if the Pan-American section is serving Mexican food. If you’re an exceptional burrito wrapper – which most people definitely are not – feel free to press your creation in a Panini press! Add sour cream, salsa, and guacamole to your plate and you’re all set for a breakfast fiesta.

6. Vegetarian Panini

Pick your go-to sandwich bread. Maybe head over to the unsliced loaves of bread near the bagels? Now, that you have your bread, spread on hummus. Cheese of your choice. Tomatoes, spinach…basically whatever you want! And press that sandwich! 

7. Quesadilla

So this is very simple, but oh-so-tasty.  Pick your favorite wrap or the classic flour tortilla, add cheese of your choice – may I recommend pepper jack? Next add any fillers you’d like, these could range from mushrooms to bell peppers, onions, cubed tomatoes, shredded lettuce… And make use of that Panini press again! 

Follow the HCND Pinterest account, pin with us, and remember to keep posted with HCND on TwitterInstagram, and Facebook!

Images 123

From the Beach to the Bend! I am a Junior Political Science major at the University of Notre Dame originally from Laguna Beach, CA (...yes, like the show). I am minoring in Constitutional Studies and Energy Studies, both of which are much more exciting than they sound I promise! In typical California style, I am obsessed with fish tacos and all things eco-chic! And I am constantly dancing or choreographing in my head!