This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

As I prepare to go home for Thanksgiving and the end of the semester draws near, I can’t help but reflect on what I’m thankful for and on my appreciation for my new home at Notre Dame. There are several things I am so lucky to have and to experience. Though this list doesn’t come close to covering them all, here are a few of the things for which I am grateful (some basic and some niche) in no particular order:

The Grotto

I definitely mention the Grotto at least once per article, but there’s a reason for it. The Grotto is one of my all-time favorite places on campus and in the world. Nowhere else do I feel more calm, relaxed, peaceful and capable of handling whatever college life throws my way. Of course faith life is one of the major aspects of Notre Dame that distinguishes it from other schools, but I genuinely believe the Grotto itself does too. Religious or not, the Grotto holds some varying level of spiritual significance to every Notre Dame student.

Friends

I do not know where I would be without the friends I’ve made thus far. They get me through that mundane class, those stressful nights swamped with work, those fun weekends and most things here. One of the most rewarding components of college for me has been an increased sense of independence and individuality; but finding people I love has advanced me on the journey of loving my own self, too. I look forward to a new batch of classes and clubs in the spring to meet even more people!

Flaherty Hall

The center of my day-to-day as a Notre Dame resident, Flaherty Hall holds so many memories within its walls that only renew each day. In this hall I’ve met some of my best friends. I’ve had some of my most fun nights in watching movies and eating pizza and some of my worst nights feeling overwhelmed by work or missing friends and family. I’ve ingested excessive amounts of Bearly Baked (Mondays at 9:30) and Fronana (Thursdays at 9:30) but I’ve never regretted it and have already grown so much.

Midwestern skies

One tip I received from a recent Notre Dame graduate before getting to campus was to watch for the incredible sunrises and sunsets. I have to say, there have been mornings when the vibrant sky is about the only reason I can find to be happy to be awake that early (I’m looking at you, calc midterms!) and ending a day with a beautiful sky as well just makes me feel more at home. Check out my friend Lily Miller’s incredible Instagram @cloudlovaa for ALL of your sky photography needs.

Alma mater

Predictable, but so necessary. I distinctly remember singing the alma mater after the first home football game as a milestone for my heightened sense of belonging and happiness here on campus. Settling into Notre Dame took time; there are days when it’s still a work in progress, but the raw beauty and unity of the alma mater and putting your arms around anyone who’s next to you epitomizes the concept of the Notre Dame community and family.

Southwest Salad

My week consists of two phases: before Thursday and after Thursday. If you know, you know.

The Week @ ND

You know that email you get in your inbox every Sunday night that you probably don’t look at? You should! The Week @ ND email ensures that you have no excuse for missing the cool events and opportunities around campus. So many lectures, performances and information sessions have enhanced my semester thus far that I may not have ever known about if not for this email. Challenge yourself to attend one event mentioned in these messages per week! It will make a tangible difference in your week-to-week experience.

McWell

I know I never stop talking about McWell, but its resources and its kindhearted staff make it such a wonderful place to work on campus. I’m also grateful for my own office space there!

Weekly mass

The abundance of mass options on campus is such a special and distinguishing feature of the Notre Dame experience. I am so fortunate to have these services to clear my head and better define my relationship with God.

Sgt. Tim McCarthy

“May I have your attention please…” As an avid fan of dad jokes and cringey puns, one of my favorite gameday traditions is Sgt. Tim McCarthy’s traffic safety pun just before the fourth quarter. The mix of cheers and playful groans from the crowd following each joke almost qualifies as its own piece of traditional Notre Dame music.

DHDs

One of my favorite ways to catch up with friends amidst the chaos of college life is for a quick DHD, or dining hall date. Whether you’re there for 20 minutes or 2 hours, a sit-down in the dining hall with a good friend can be one of the best parts of the day.

Zumba

Pretty recently, I joined a weekly Zumba class with one of my friends! I happen to be the most uncoordinated person ever, but it doesn’t matter. Zumba is such a fun way to get a great workout in and it’s one of the highlights of my week. I look forward to doing at least one class next semester.

The ABP Stand in DeBart

Feeling that mid-afternoon energy crash? Have no fear! DeBart ABP cart is here (hope you caught that double rhyme). It’s so nice to be able to grab a little snack right in the same building as your classes.

2nd floor reading room of Hes

Silence is golden, and the 2nd floor reading room of the Hesburgh Library can attest to it. Sometimes I even feel guilty turning a page in there because of how quiet it is—the perfect place to buckle down on schoolwork (especially on Sundays, when you’ve let it all pile up. No? Just me? Oops).

Opportunities in general

The amount of opportunities here at Notre Dame is unparalleled. My to-do list is permanently stacked with 85683 programs in which I want to become involved. No matter what you want to do, Notre Dame has the will and the resources to support you. I look forward to finding out just how true this is in the next few years.

No matter your class level or school, I encourage you to reflect on the things that you’ve been thankful for recently. It’s mentally rewarding. Wishing you all a safe and happy Thanksgiving!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Callie Whelan

Notre Dame '23

Callie is a first-year International Economics/French major and Computing & Digital Technologies minor at Notre Dame originally from Ridgefield, Connecticut. In her limited free time, Callie loves to paint, draw, read, force herself to work out, and spend time with friends and family. She loves mac and cheese, pastel colors, mocking both sides of the political aisle, John Mulaney, and proper grammar.