Irish Fighting for Life: Notre Dame Attends 2014 March for Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

This past week, a group of over 500 Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s students embarked on a 12 hour journey to Washington D.C. for the 2014 March for Life.  Notre Dame marchers could be found amongst the thousands of people at the National Mall by the striped scarves and cheerful smiles they sported, all the while fighting for their beliefs.

The tradition for Notre Dame to attend the March for Life has been active for many years, and thousands of students have attended with the group. The times had are always described as amazing, as well as the students who travel in support of their beliefs.

Clare O’Malley (Saint Mary’s Class of 2017), says the march was an opportunity of a lifetime for her. “I wanted to go on the March for Life as a way to use my voice and stand up for what I believe in. As American citizens we are entitled to assemble and voice our opinions as a way to show our disapproval for something. Because I disagree with abortion, I wanted to make my voice heard and stand up for my beliefs.”

Clare was on the first group of buses that left Monday night, so she was lucky enough to be there! “I had been there once before in 2011, but this time was different.” The second group that was scheduled to leave on Tuesday, could not due to weather issues. Prayers at the grotto and basilica made up for the ones who could not attend (including myself) and watching live streams was almost as great as actually being there at the National Mall.  

“The journey was certainly very long, freezing cold, and the busses got a bit uncomfortable after multiple hours, but it was important to remember that these days were dedicated to defending the unborn and that their suffering was much greater than a stiff neck.” Clare and her friends understood that although though the trek was far from glamorous, being able to be there meant the world to them and being one person in a sea of over 300,000 people with the same beliefs was worth it.

“As we walked up Capitol Hill and made our way to the Supreme Court Building where the Roe Vs. Wade case occurred 40 years ago, it was truly incredible to be a part of a community that defends its beliefs and makes those beliefs known to our government, who is supposed to be the voice of the people.”

Clare and her friends had many emotional and moving experiences, such as when Clare noticed a group of women holding signs that read, “I regret my abortion.” Clare describes seeing this as a courageous way to stand in front of thousands of people who strongly dislike the action they committed. Seeing such a powerful situation unfold before her eyes, Clare described the feeling as “overwhelming.”  She realized that in doing this, these women were using their own remorse and experience to prevent others from getting abortions, which ultimately saves lives.  

Clare realizes the courage of these women is admirable and God was using is using them to speak to others. “I was also moved by a sign that said, ‘If it’s not a baby, then you’re not pregnant.’ I firmly believe that life is present from the moment of conception, and by aborting a fetus, you are acknowledging that there is something there to abort, which in itself means to terminate. “

All in all, this year’s March for Life was assuring to America that thousands of people will continue to defend, as all are entitled to their inalienable rights of “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.”

If interested in learning more about the Notre Dame Right to Life club, or to see some pictures from the march, check out these links!

https://sites.google.com/a/nd.edu/prolifend/

http://notredame.photoshelter.com/gallery/2014-March-for-Life/G0000h6k7fdqtZxA/

Follow HCND on Twitter and like us on Facebook

Photos provided by the author

Hannah Drinkall is a Saint Mary’s College contributor to Her Campus Notre Dame.

Hannah Drinkall

Saint Mary's

Hannah graduated Saint Mary's College (May 2016) with a major in Communication Studies & a minor in Public Relations & Advertising. She was the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Saint Mary's, which she co-founded in December 2013. She's from Florida, and she is now working in New York City with New York Times best selling author, Adriana Trigiani. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @hannahdrinkall!