Equipped for Better Studying Posture: Hardware Essentials

Image courtesy of pxhere

For a lot of us who have started our college careers, we correctly expected a lot more hours dedicated to studying than in high school. That translates largely into sitting at a desk, huddled over textbooks and notes, our backs arched, and ready to soak in as much information as we can for long periods of time.

Currently three years into my college career, I have become astutely aware of the effect of poor posture while studying. A lot of my awareness has come from neck and back pains -- none of which are chronic, albeit distracting -- and just from the chance realizations that my face has been awfully close to my textbooks.

I have discussed this very issue with a Notre Dame on-campus doctor. He stated that he had observed the same symptoms of neck and back pain among other college students with poor postures while studying. He explained that hunching forward can place the head out of line with the rest of the body and cause undue stress on the neck and spine. Essentially, the head’s weight is not as fully and easily supported, causing pain in the neck and back.

I knew this could become a long-term problem — something that could carry on as a habit throughout my professional career and beyond — so I wanted to do something about it!

Here are two things that have improved my studying posture immensely:

1) Bookstands

Reading is a large part of our lives and is usually the main way in which we learn. Propping up your books, whether it be a novel or a three-inch thick, 20-pound textbook, can adjust your line of sight — and the curvature of neck and spine — to be more parallel to the ground. This natural posture lessens the stress from bowing your head too much while studying.

The lightweight, wooden bookstand I purchased has been monumental in improving my studying posture. Under $20, mine was an affordable investment for my physical health and, consequently, for peace of mind that a passive activity such as propping up my textbook could prevent harmful effects on my neck and back.

Added bonus: I found that using a bookstand drastically lessened the glare from the desk light hitting the printed words. For me, it definitely decreased eye strain! Glasses wearers, rejoice!

Image courtesy of MarvelBuilding

2) Laptop Stands

Similar to the bookstand concept, a laptop stand allows you to simply prop up your laptop at eye-level. In the digital era that we live in today, the laptop is one of the few necessary technological equipments with such direct use and importance in our day-to-day lives. As college students, emails, papers, presentations, and analysis are only just a few of the things we complete through our laptops. Since we are necessitated to spend so much time on our laptops, posture is critical to maintaining good physical health and preventing undue strain on our bodies.

Image courtesy of pxhere

Final Words

There are many bookstands and laptop stands in the market to choose from, and some can double as both with just a quick and easy adjustment. Personally, I have chosen this option and find it to be phenomenally versatile and convenient. Whichever design, material, or color you choose for your bookstand and/or laptop stand, I wish that it will bring you a less stressful studying experience for, as we all know, studying doesn't always seem like the outstanding activity it is.