This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

June 21st may mark the first day of summer, but for most of us, we have been enjoying the summer sun for close to a month now. With this month came lots of reunions with friends and ample time for relaxation.

But, what better way to relax than with a good book? Here are some of my favorite books I’ve read so far this summer and a few more I’m hoping to try!

Second Star by Alyssa B. Sheinmel

I’ve always had a soft spot for Disney and am a big fan of modern retellings of my favorite stories. Second Star is a modern retelling of Disney classic Peter Pan. Set in a coastal California town and with a focus on surfing, Second Star is the perfect summer read. Although, this book is not just frills. It is raw, heartbreaking, and the ending will certainly surprise you. 

Ruminations on College Life by Aaron Karo

I received this book as a high school graduation gift from my two older sisters. They had both read it the summer before they went to college, and encouraged me to do the same. This short 150 page book is filled with outrageous and hilarious anecdotes from Aaron Karo’s college years at the University of Pennsylvania. A funny and quick read for anyone about to start or who is in college!

99 Days by Katie Cotungo

This classic young adult love story is quite predictable, but that doesn’t mean it’s any less fun to read. Molly Barlowe is caught in a love triangle with two brothers and she has a long summer ahead of her. Will you be team Gabe or team Patrick? My bets on Gabe, because he is a fictional sophomore at Notre Dame!

The Perfect Letter by Chris Harrison

Everyone knows Chris Harrison…the man that gets paid millions of dollars to say about seven words a week on the hit reality series The Bachelor/Bachelorette. Well now, he is giving us a few more words…a full novel! The Perfect Letter reads like a Nicholas Sparks book. Think The Longest Ride, but with a little crime and a lot more drama. Whether I believe Chris Harrison actually wrote this book or not, I will still recommend it as some great chick-lit.

The Fill-In Boyfriend by Kasie West

This is my next book on my to-read list and I’m very excited about it. Kasie West’s other books, The Distance Between Us and On the Fence are two of my favorites and I’m looking forward to her newest novel. No one believes Gia Montgomery has a boyfriend, so what’s worse than him breaking up with her the night of prom? Gia recruits a boy in the parking lot to fill-in for the night, but when the nights over, she almost wishes for more. Too bad she doesn’t know his name…

The Knockoff: A Novel by Lucy Sykes and Jo Piazza

This new novel is for fashion industry hopefuls and readers alike. The Knockoff is the story of rival fashion editors as their magazine Glossy enters the digital age. After meeting Jo Piazza at a conference last fall, I have been dying to get my hands on this book. I’m sure her creativity and quick wit will fill the pages and it’s time you and me get to the bookstore ASAP.

Happy Reading!

The HCND application is now open! For more information contact Rebecca Rogalski at rrogalsk@nd.edu or Katrina Linden at klinden1@nd.edu.

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Grace Parker

Notre Dame

Hey, my name is Grace and I'm an incoming freshman at Notre Dame with an intent to study marketing, design, and journalism. I'm from Wayne, Pa (a suburb of Philadelphia), but I love traveling and am so excited for my next destination: South Bend, Indiana. I spend most of my time hanging out with my friends, reading, playing field hockey, online-shopping, and binge-watching Netflix documentaries. I love to write and am so happy to join the HCND family!