Meet Steam Heat’s Paige Lester!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Meet 20-year-old Paige Lester, member of Northwestern’s all-female dance group Steam Heat. Read about all about her involvement in the group and don’t forget to see her perform in their show called “Power” this weekend!

Name: Paige Lester

Hometown: South Salem, NY

Year: Junior

Majors: Dance and Sociology

Can you tell me a little more about Steam Heat’s upcoming “Power” show?

As members of an all-female dance group, we have always instilled confidence in each other and fostered a sense of strength, both individually and as a group. In deciding to make this year’s show “Power” themed, we are celebrating that confidence and strength not only that we have developed, but that all women across the world are discovering in themselves as well. Our pieces are structured around that sense of power that we want all women (and men!) to feel. Music and certain musical theatre pieces can have tendencies to focus on a woman obsessing over a boy, and that seems to be the only thing that is important. In putting together our show, we have had so much fun finding other ways for women to find their voices and portray that through the art of movement. And as always, our show includes a mix of original Broadway choreography and newly curated pieces, a number of which are accompanied by our live jazz band.

Why did you start dancing in general?

I honestly can’t even remember why I started dancing. I was probably restless and always dancing around the house as a little kid, and the rest is history. I grew up taking classes at a local studio, doing theatre shows at my high school, and eventually decided to major in dance here at NU. At a certain point I fell in love with performing- it is a privilege to become something greater than yourself and take your audience on a journey when you are on stage.

Why Steam Heat?

I joined Steam Heat because I loved performing and missed having a little dose of theatre in my life.

What other things are you involved in at Northwestern?

I have been involved with NUDM for three years on the Dancer Relations Committee. I am also involved in a club called Best Buddies, which partners with local adults with special needs. I am also involved in a group called New Movement Project, which aims to provide opportunity to the larger dance community at NU. In addition to that I am involved in Greek Life!

What about the show should audiences look forward to most?

FUN! This show is so energetic and exciting; I guarantee you’ll want to get up out of your seats and start dancing. We have traditional Musical Theatre songs, Beyonce, and everything in between. I am constantly amazed by the talent of every single member in this group, and between all of the singing and dancing that you’ll see, I’m sure you will be too.

What’s your favorite thing about performing on campus?

The thing I love most about performing on campus is being able to share something that is so special and important to me with my peers. After pouring your heart out in a show there is no better feeling than walking into the lobby and being greeted by friends, acquaintances, and strangers, all appreciative of the work that you have shared. I think every performer can learn something from every audience member, and Northwestern provides such a supportive and proactive community that makes that possible.