This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

If you’re anything like me, the nostalgia of childhood movies hits you hard. There’s just something about re-watching The Lion King for the seventy-eighth time that makes everything feel right. Even as we get older and move past the days when we had eight o’clock bed times, these movies stay with us and give us comfort. Sometimes, though, as we grow and change, so do the films we used to know and love.

In 2010, Tim Burton made the most obvious change when he altered the beloved, wacky tale of Alice in Wonderland by introducing his own personal twist of haunting music and shadowy imagery to follow the story of nineteen-year-old Alice. Though this dark image of Underland may seem like quite a stretch for devoted fans of the original, colorful Disney classic, Burton’s adaptation was so widely received that a sequel, Through the Looking Glass, is soon to be released.

Burton wasn’t the only filmmaker to come up with the idea of putting twists on old, childhood favorites, though. Several kid-friendly films have been remade and will be released this year with new, seemingly dark developments. Should we celebrate that our old favorites have changed as our tastes in film have matured, or is there something just a little too creepy about all these darkened, live-action remakes? Let’s take a look.

1.     Maleficent

Released: May 30, 2014

Director: Robert Stromberg

Starring: Angelina Jolie, Sharlto Copley, Elle Fanning, Sam Riley, Imelda Staunton

Though it isn’t a direct adaptation of a childhood film, Maleficent is one of those increasingly popular films, which give us a peek at the other side of classic fairy tales. What’s truly surprising about this trailer isn’t Maleficent’s piercing poison-green eyes or the trees with branches like claws, but that it tells an unfamiliar story of a familiar tale. Sleeping Beauty is a tried-and-true film known to many of us as the introduction of the “the prince saves the princess from the dragon” trope. Maleficent, though, gives us the other side of the story and expands on what we already know about this classic tale, making an old story fresh and new for our matured film palates. 

2.     The Jungle Book

Release Date: April 15, 2016

Director: Jon Favreau

Starring: Bill Murray, Ben Kingsley, Idris Elba, Lupita Nyong’o, Scarlett Johansson

When I first saw the trailer for this film, I thought they had made another Planet of the Apes movie. While the graphics look fantastic and the casting seems unrivaled, the initial feel of the trailer emits a lurking danger. As Scarlett Johansson’s snake persona hisses in Mowgli’s face I am left with a chill running down my back because—compared to the VHS version I’m so used to—this seemed all too real. In this particular case, though, the mysterious and treacherous nature of the trailer drew me in and made me believe that this little boy was, indeed, helpless and lost in the jungle, peaking my curiosity and making me want to see the movie even more.

3.     The Legend of Tarzan

Release Date: July 1, 2016

Director: David Yates

Starring: Alexander Skarsgârd, Samuel L. Jackson, Margot Robbie, Dijimon Hounsou, Christoph Waltz

With even more chilling background music, this take on the classic tale of Tarzan also has a Planet of the Apes vibe. Filled with fast pace rainy sequences deep in the forest and littered with guns and rampages, this film definitely promises action. While the Disney original does as well, this caliber of action demands constant attention and provides some appeal for older viewers.

4.     The BFG

Release Date: July 1, 2016

Director: Steven Spielberg

Starring: Mark Rylance, Ruby Barnhill, Penelope Wilton, Rebecca Hall, Bill Hader

Slightly less creepy, this trailer depicts a young girl in an orphanage warning viewers of the witching hour and advising not to get out of bed. Hiding under the covers, the girl is snatched out of her room by an enormous, hooded figure with calloused hands before the screen turns to black. While it is slightly friendlier towards younger viewers than the movies previously mentioned, the haunting tone of this trailer makes the film appear almost sinister. Still, intermixed with a child-like sprinkle of magic, this threatening air works well in giving the movie just the right amount of mystery.

5.     Pan

Released: October 9, 2015

Director: Joe Wright

Starring: Hugh Jackman, Garrett Helund, Roony Mara, Levy Miller

Released late in 2015, Pan tells the tale of Peter Pan’s origins at an orphanage and his first journey onto Neverland. What struck me most about the trailer for this film was the terrifying marionette-like sequence in which the children are stolen from the orphanage by pirates that resemble deadly clowns. Compared to my memories of a green-clad boy and his fairy companion, this is not the Peter Pan I expected. Though it did seem slightly out of place in the beginning, these dramatic—and sometimes slightly alarming—scenes truly add a theatrical air to the film, making it almost more graceful.  

So where does this leave us? I have come to the conclusion that, while these films may seem to be pushing the boundaries of captivating and haunting their audience, they certainly use this to their advantage. Haunting doesn’t necessarily mean creepy, but captivating. And all of these added dimensions—including live-action performances and threatening music—take these films to a new level, appealing to an even wider audience. Ultimately, I would suggest giving these semi-creepy and thrilling childhood remakes a second chance next time you see a trailer that spooks you. I know I certainly will.

Though these remakes won’t compare to the originals, I have to admit I certainly don’t mind the thrill of a film combining all my favorite stories with an extra hint of spookiness thrown in the mix. It’s double the adventure!

*All images found on Google images