This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northern Arizona chapter.

At times, it may seem difficult to tell your side of the story. Whether no one is willing to listen to you or people only tell their side of the story, not being able to express yourself can be frustrating. Maybe even more than frustrating when you know your own side of events.

This is where creative nonfiction comes in. Of course, I am an English major talking about a type of writing, but there is a reason why this might be important to you.

For those of you who are unsure of what creative nonfiction is, it is a form of creative writing that is factual. Not factual as in the academic papers that we college students have to write, but factual as in it happened to you. That’s right, in this form of writing, you tell the audience what happened and why it mattered to you.

You are the person telling the story in the way that you remember (at least, to the best of your ability). It can be used as a way to process events that have happened in your life in a way in which no one can deny what you felt in that moment. All of that processing and revisiting is done on paper, cheaper than a therapist. (Warning: This form of writing should not be seen as an alternative to a therapist. Tread cautiously and get medical help if it becomes too much.)

There is always someone out there who has had a similar experience to you – instant solidarity. Let’s face it: We aren’t alone in our experiences, but our minds like to trick us into thinking that we are. Creative nonfiction reminds us that it’s a lie; we are not alone. Other people know how it feels to come from a certain situation or have experienced something that they thought no one else would ever feel. Creative nonfiction breaks down that lie.

If you want to feel like other people have gone through the same thing as you, then get into creative nonfiction. The results will be greater than you think.

Maria Sherman

Northern Arizona '22

I am a senior at NAU, studying English with an emphasis in Creative Writing and a minor in Religious Studies. If you can't find me in my dorm room or in class, please check the nearest library; I'm most likely there.